Thread: New Hunter From Australia in Vancouver

New Hunter From Australia in Vancouver

Hi folks!

Thanks for having me here - I have already found an awesome wealth of knowledge and information just through reading a lot.

I am an Aussie, who moved to BC and am starting to get set up for some hunting. Taken my CORE and I'm doing to CFSC this weekend so I can start the long wait for my PAL. I am living in Vancouver, but have a truck and camper. I have fished up around Squamish and I think I will start trying to do some scouting up that way (fairly close).

I would love to get a deer, and also chase some small game we can enjoy eating (I want to try some grouse!)

A couple of questions I have:

What is the best way to understand exactly where it is ok to hunt, where the private lands starts and finishes? I there a good app that you guys recommend?

Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to find some game? My plan is to try and spend some time in one or two areas, get really familiar and build my knowledge until I actually get my PAL. I guess look for trails and sign and go from there?

Finally, if anyone feels they would like to take a newb under the wing, I would be very very happy for the company and some guidance. I am a videographer so would love to make some hunting videos!!

Thanks guys and happy hunting!

Cheers
    Sean

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter From Australia in Vancouver

The aussie boys are taking over mate. Shoot me a message I'll help out a fellow countryman.

If you’re looking to stay close to home black bear, blacktail, and waterfowl will be your game

Black bear hunting is ok

Blacktail can be great but you need to figure them out and the lower pressure spots. Most think they are harder then they really are but you do need to think outside the box in my opinion

Ducks and geese get out and scout along with buy the gear. Lots of crown land spots and if you ask enough farmers you can pick up field hunting spots. Lots of well known places on crown land but lots of areas to the east go overlooked

Getting advice from hunters is good but research the species it self. Learn their habitat, food preferences, seasonal habits, and go look for areas that people don’t go to and overlook.

Good luck

Ps hunting is better away from the lower mainland its one of the reasons I moved lol

Thanks Wild One and Chrispryn (I sent you a message).

Appreciate the info. I am very keen to head further out into the bush when I can get a week or so, I guess at this point I am jus thinking local will be a good place to get started and pick up what I can.

I guess like anything, the further you go from people and hunting pressure, the better it will be.

Hopefully my PAL won't take too long

I heard there are sheep on some of the surrounding Islands I know you Aussies like your sheep Good luck and welcome to HBC

There is some great hunting in the lower mainland but took me years of failure and part of my sanity to find great spots lol

don’t get hung up on remote the best places I found were small stupid pockets that went overlooked. Only time i find benifit from remote is because its really remote. Just don’t follow the crowds of hunters in or outside the lower mainland. My rule of thumb is if I hear about a location from more then 2 hunters that don’t know eachother odds are it’s busy then I like

but thats big game

Crikey - not another one. These Australian hunters are hard core. They grow up hunting animals that are out to kill them. These Aussies don't know the meaning of tired they just keep on going forever. Sheep or Mountain goats beware - if this guy can see you, he's going to get you.

Hey - welcome aboard Aussie. I sure would like to hear about how your season went after it's over this year and the differences you've found hunting between home and here. I hope to hear about your stories in the near future. Welcome to BC and good luck.

Hmmm..had tge privilege of meeting 3 Aussies this year..not sure if you were one of them..? You all sound exactly the same..lol

The videographer that did one of the other Aussies hunt..was FANTASTIC,! Made all of wild tv look amature...

Welcome..anything i can do just PM me.

Cheers
    Steven

Thanks for the welcome guys, much appreciated!

srupp I don't believe it would have been me, but I'll buy you a beer if you want to talk hunting! We do have differences in accents across Aus, but it's nothing like the diversity you see in the UK, USA or even here.

Based on my understanding of the regulations, I am considered a non resident alien until July next year (We live here now but only on a 2 year working visa, so not technically permanent residents). In reality, this isn't the end of the world, as I won't have my PAL until next year, and the big game seasons will be closed anyway.

I will get started on the small game that I am allowed to hunt, I enjoyed predator hunting in Aus, and am very keen to see if the simple whistles my father-in-law makes that are very useful on foxes can do the same with coyote.

Thanks again for the welcome guys, I am getting a lot of knowledge and trying to read as much as I can to prepare myself. Loving the trip reports!!

Cheers