Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A solo hunter quest for stone sheep (with back story and pics)

Re: A solo hunter quest for stone sheep (with back story and pics)

This thread is awesome. Anxiously waiting for more...

keep it coming!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

need More, more, more

I want this guy's gear budget ... lol.

This will be a REAL good one!

Love the helmet idea.....just a tip if you want to save on weight and volume use Canadian tire $, snow, mullen, or moss for ass-wipe lol.....

I climbed high cuz that’s what I like doing and get a good vantage point to glass a larger section of the basin. It was really cold.

Had to move my water inside my jacket to keep it the rest of it from freezing. Glassing was a bit of a trip. With the landscapes dotted in snow it all looked like white sheep butts. I don’t have enough experience but I would think that dotted with snow is harder to glass than no snow or all snow. But omg when I came across a slight head movement in my glassing my heart skipped a beat. A ram!!

And around him there were three more all hanging out on the slope across from me. My heart was beating out of its chest that I saw sheep. I zoom in on them but damn they are all immature.

So funny how you try to will those things to curl just a bit more. Nevertheless excited that I actually got to see rams for the first time. I go to sleep that night excited what the next day will bring. But i decide to climb into a different section of the drainage that is also accessible. I get up high again and set up to start glassing and ... more rams!!

A band of rams grazing at the foot of an escape route but all immature. I stare for longer again trying to make those horns curl more or have grandpa come around but neither happens. Saw nothing else that day but I just get this gut feeling the full curls are not here in this drainage or are all gone from the guides or others earlier in the year. So I make a new plan. I know the escape routes. They go up some nasty stuff into a completely different drainage. I could just tell based on the task of climbing out of the escape routes that not many (if any) people have done it. So the next day I plan to climb it.

Cont...

Come on! Such a tease.......

That night was cold! -20 rated sleeping bag but still I’m cold. I also wore my down jacket down pants and wrapped a second down jacket around my feet. In the morning everything in the tent was frozen except what was in the sleeping bag.
    I glassed the route to climb out of the drainage I was in and I figured out a line. Put the crampons on and started my ascent. The climb out was sketchy and gruelling. A 6 hour climb up nasty technically challenging terrain. Frozen sections of rock and ice and large loose boulders. I have been climbing for most of my life and I have summited some of the higher mountains of bc and Washington so I’m comfortable but the implications of being alone can’t be diminished. One wrong step and I’m effed. I reach the summit ridge and look down into a new drainage that I just knew very few people if any have ever looked into (at least that section of it). And pretty cool I see fresh mountain lion tracks on the ridge.

Crazy that a mountain lion is hanging out up here, it’s desolate at that altitude. But i guess he is glassing like me. The winds picks up too and clouds roll in. I take my spotting scope and glass into the valley below while looking over my back to make sure that the mountain lion isn’t lurking.

After 30 minutes of glassing I see a solo ram. R u for real? I get an instant lump in my throat. I put the 60x on him and OM effing G he is a beast.

Cont..
    (I’ll finish writing and post the next section tonight)

Love it. I started back country hunting solo this season off my back, something quite rewarding when its just you vs nature. Great story and pics so far!

.........beast