Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missed buck

Re: Missed buck

Been there done that, I analysed it over and over (I actually got another chance at mine though......actually more than one!)

Fact is, I got a crash course in "buck fever", in a real pressure shot and understanding a great deal more about myself as a bow shooter and the transition into real bowhunting and taking literal life and death shots. It was horrendous at the time but I'm sort of glad it happened now, in the words of Master Yoda "A great teacher, failure is"
    I underestimated what the moment would do to me, hopefully it won't do it to me as hard if there's a next time!

You can read all you can, talk to and hang out with successful bowhunters and learn lots, but I don't think you know how it ("buck fever"?) will hit you until it does. Clarity of thought, rationality and doing your thing in a relaxed manner out of the window, you and a million others before you!

Good job though, great experience and getting back on the horse. Good luck with it all in the future and don't beat yourself up about it, believe me! My story gives my shooting buddies lots of opportunity to give me a hard time about....like 3 years later!

Thanks Marc B. I think I bought a couple of your bow strings... could be wrong. Good luck to you as well...

they call it jumping the string years ago

aim low next time

Just passed on a 5 point bull moose. By pass I mean my arrow passed right over it’s back. It was opening morning of bow only still kinda dark. He was fighting with a spiker and I did a cow call and he came right in.
    A couple years ago I didn’t take the shot on a bull this time I rushed the shot.
    My mistakes this time.
    I took my back pack off to sneak closer I could here them fighting when I was at edge of swamp. My range finder was in my waist belt pocket.
    I drew back before i took a mental estimate of range. Had 20 yard pin on him. Then tried ranging him well looking thru the peep sight. Decided to put 30 yard pin on him
    he was in thick buck brush and my only shot was the top part of lung. Arrow flew right over his back.
    It startled him and he ran back to the other bull they both contemplated to come back and check me out. Started fighting again and trying to hump each other. Watched them for half hour or so. Cow calling and bull grunts before they left.

The scenario runs thru my mind constantly. Maybe I should of stuffed my arrow thru the brush. Should of had my range finder in pocket. Was a great learning experience I won’t forget for a long time.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

getting within 20 yards of a deer is an accomplishment , be it spot and stalk or place a blind or treestand in a location that gets you the shot. good job. Missing is part of hunting and you are hunting traditional which again makes it more challenging. Accept the miss and look at it as a successful outing as you were able to get a crack at a difficult animal to hunt with a bow period. I have been hunting traditional for 21 years and have had a lot of success and still miss as well. Just 11 days ago I was hunting with my BEAR takedown bow and had a real nice chocolate colored antlered whitetail buck at about 17 yards, he walked across the path i took into the treestand and although I had been in the tree for about 3 hours he smelled where I had walked in and became nervous..he lifted his head in the air to test for more confirmation but the wind was in my favor , he was quartering to and I swear he looked directly at me and i squinted my eyes as I believe sometimes this close they can make out your open staring eyes. I had my face covered with a buff and.... . he turned to look back at his trail , exposing his vitals now broadside. He was nervous and I forgot to mention he had done one foot stomp initially when he smelled the trail and my old scent. Anyway after he looked back I now knew it was time to draw undetected and I believe i hurried my shot as I knew he was nervous and might leave . As I released the arrow , he spun the way he came and I had a clean miss. It happened fast and I could not tell if he had stayed still if my arrow would have been true. You see even after 21 years you miss . I enjoyed the evening hunt but just like you I try and learn and figure what to do next time . Just realize you have chosen to hunt "the hard way " and the moment of truth is a tougher road . I use a "cat quiver "to keep my fletch dry . good luck and keep trying....there is nothing like hunting close !!!! PS If your bow is well tuned to the arrow a wet fletch , as said , will not be a problem .

WOW nice story book .

Okas r u okay. You were doing better before ,kinda sounding mean today, sometimes it’s better not to post what u r thinking. Your a knowledgeable guy be nice try to help.

THANK YOU . I hade a horrible few days as lots of pain lately my wife and dog both passed on this year and I am waiting for surgery .

And I miss bow hunting so much as no longer a option .