Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missed buck

Missed buck

Samic Sage 45lb, stalker extreme carbon 400, 55/70 8.4 gpi.... a year target shooting ...good grouping. Yesterday missed a nice black tail buck, 20 yards shot on the money but about a foot high. It was raining and fletchings were wet and a bit flattened and I shoot from the bow arrow rest not a peel off rest (less arrow interference option). So.... for hunting purposes what is the general advice to cover all the bases. For example, should my fletchings be plastic... should I use the less friction arrow rest option with the stick on rests?

.... thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Missed buck

Keep practicing! shoot you arrows wet, shoot in the wind and see how these conditions affect your groupings and arrow flight. your fletching being wet shouldn't cause a rise in your POI at 20 yards. Too excited and pulled up at the last second....? Lots of things to consider. 1 missed shot doesn't mean you need new equipment components.

Get some feather dressing to keep the feathers dry in the rain, and even then, augment with a sandwich baggie over each fletch in hard rains. The easiest to find is likely a dry fly dressing although there are feather specific dressings out there...or used to be. Years ago I used a powder that kept feathers dry, but forget the name of it....worked so well it was hard to read the blood sign on a pass through arrow as it didn't stick. Good luck...you are doing it the hard way for sure!

At twenty yards i doubt very much if the fletchings had anything to do with being a foot high. I have taken over twenty blacktails with the bow, i have also put a few arrows over their backs at twenty and less.Thats bowhunting.

most likely the deer dropped for a escape as went down to spring away . As not a lot of speed there

Odds are it was not your set up and you just missed it happens

Quote Originally Posted by SeaScene View Post
    Samic Sage 45lb, stalker extreme carbon 400, 55/70 8.4 gpi.... a year target shooting ...good grouping. Yesterday missed a nice black tail buck, 20 yards shot on the money but about a foot high. It was raining and fletchings were wet and a bit flattened and I shoot from the bow arrow rest not a peel off rest (less arrow interference option). So.... for hunting purposes what is the general advice to cover all the bases. For example, should my fletchings be plastic... should I use the less friction arrow rest option with the stick on rests?

.... thanks
    Try bare shaft with a 500 spine. Those 400's probably seem fine with good fletching but unless you have a very heavy tip they should be a bit too stiff and dont recover the paradox properly. 500 and 125 tips should work better imo

SeaScene , your search for a reason for your 20 yard miss may not be equipment failure but as I experienced the "good enough " syndrome ". In spite of progressing to the top ranks of archery including 3-D , I as you missed several of my first deer arrow launches . Accessing what happened I realized that instinctively hurried up the shot sequence to such an extent that the "Good Enough" facture hurried up the shot , well it was not good enough . You have to take your time to get Clinical in focusing on that spot .
    One of the Canada`s top Traditional archers recently experienced what you and I had . Confidence is the key . Just remembered a top Compound archer doing same .
    Cheers and get back at it !
    Last edited by greybark; 10-05-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    At twenty yards i doubt very much if the fletchings had anything to do with being a foot high. I have taken over twenty blacktails with the bow, i have also put a few arrows over their backs at twenty and less.Thats bowhunting.
    X2 I would guess he lifted his head or forgot to use the peep sight, like you say thats hunting...

Practicing again 3 hrs yesterday... very thoughtful, encouraging posts guys... thanks