Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missed buck

Re: Missed buck

Bluesman , you are right about the the buck swinging away at the arrow release . With compounds they tend to squat or crouch (jumping the string) as the first step to launching themselves from harms way with the arrow passing over the deer where the kill zone was . . However with traditional bows some of the larger WT bucks will simply rotate on their hind legs to gallop the way they came in (safe route) . Arrows intended for the sweet spot now pass by parallel to the deer and this scenario is quit vivid on the numerous reruns in your mind . lol
    Last edited by greybark; 11-09-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    THANK YOU . I hade a horrible few days as lots of pain lately my wife and dog both passed on this year and I am waiting for surgery .
    Wishing the best for you .
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Estimating distances is difficult. I constantly try to guess distances when I’m hiking and then pace them out. Crazy how lighting, terrain and real deer can influence estimates. I shoot a compound (way easier!!) and shot over a deer when I was rushed because I estimated it was 30 m when it was only 20... or so. Got lucky with a second shot 20 min later on the same deer. I like stump shooting and estimating to improve. I think it is something you have to do all the time to sharpen your gut estimates. I’m still mediocre at it. I’m okay with stumps but when a deer gets in the way of my stump it’s amazing how hard it gets.

Lots of variables in a hunting situation, very different from practice, so make some of your practice more realistic. Moving objects, bad shot angles, up and down hills, drawing on the neighbors cat after it shits in your yard...(kidding of course but you get the point. Buddy and myself used to get blunt field points and kick a plastic coffee can and take turns kicking it around the yard and shoot it while it was still moving. Set up a treestand in his yard as well and took turns shooting out of it and retrieving arrows.
    Also used the same blunts to wander around the bush and take shots at stumps and anything else random that wouldn't ruin the arrow and would let me retrieve it after.

I took a 20 yard uphill shot at a WT doe with longbow years ago and watched in horror as my arrow peeled to the right from a wind gust up where the deer was. Hit the doe squarely in the back leg and it took off running with the arrow wagging. Found the arrow a long ways down the trail, and eventually the doe, but felt like an ass for putting the deer through that. So a complete miss is sometimes better than a poor shot.

Equipment wise, there are some good dry fletching products like this:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/feath...nt-powder.html

Wet fletchings change arrow flight somewhat, a foot high maybe not, but as one fellow mentioned on here, pretty normal for a deer to squat down a bit when it hears a noise in preparation to bolt,lol...

In my experience, practice and being consistent, and being able to adapt to different shooting situations will help you. Also take every opportunity to draw and then let down on anything legal... squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, whatever. It's good practice, so when you get in a hunting situation and draw on a nice deer, it'll seem more normal and your pulse will only be 120 beat per minute instead of 180

years ago I would use blunts and a soccer ball and bounce it around a over grown field . If looking back as moving up and up as bows and all the stuff these days we get caught up in . Most likely stay with a 55lbs mild recurve as it worked and just hunt with it 25-30 yards .

When I started treestand hunting WT I set a limit of 30 yds. with a longbow. Needless to say I had poor success as they always jumped the string. Now I set up for 12 to 15 yds. and success has much improved. Too close and they hear the string being pulled over the riser. Now I think they may hear my shoulder creek.