Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladner Early 2018

Re: Ladner Early 2018

Snowies were flying hard previous Saturday - and had success - but not this last Saturday.. only saw a single snowie at Brunswick and the cheeky bugger just circled us too high to shoot at. Then driving off saw them in the hundreds along Highway 99

Sunday at closing. Nothing happening. Ducks were happy to puddle around on the water at west end.. a bit too far to jump.. so I sat there until sunset hoping they would stir. Only got one passing shot. The ducks only moved when a bald eagle just transited overhead but settled further away. Nice sunset. I was outnumbered by about a dozen photographers with their long lenses having a dandy day photographing the numerous owls. On my way out I interrupted an owl feasting on a fat rat. At least someone had success. Well after dusk while I was putting away my gear in my car saw the only evidence of snowies heading out toward the ferries along with lines of swans.

Was out yesterday early morning - noon. We started on the inside of Westham in the morning, and the foreshore later on. We managed two ducks, but it was pretty slow. Lots of high flyers that didn’t even give us a look. It seemed more like pass shooting than the decoying birds I’m used to. We were using 20 duck decoys, mojo and few geese full bodies. Boat was well hidden a long way away.

I’ve been duck hunting for several years, but fairly new to this area

If anyone has any tips, feel free to PM me

Was out yesterday had stuff to do in morning so loaded up when wind started at 1 and high water too ,little field along the foreshore dyke setting out dekes and the duck switch went to on.Everything moving off and around had 2 go's before all decoys were out.Finished 8 mallards by 3:15 home by 4 and watched them moving all the time ,,,

Saturday got set up at Brunswick with a dozen snowie socks and for our first time got out two mojos and six mallard dekes. We're convinced by the mojos, we had ducks coming in. My partner got a Northern Shoveller who gave them a look. The rest of the ducks weren't landing too close but they were shootable.

Close to 10 we saw Canadas for the first time in three years. A small V of what we thought were five Canadas started circling our spot but because they were out of season just let them go but on their second pass realized there was a snowie who was flying in perfect formation behind the leader! When they got lower I dropped him. I really wonder to what extent snowies are adopted by Canadas? They must get very lonely as I've seen one also tag along with swans.

There was innumerable snowies hanging out near the coal terminal bridge. I wish I had a boat to get out there. The flying flocks were too far above and just wanted to get there and back from the farmlands.
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-26-2018 at 10:38 AM.

How's the waterfowling situation these days? It got cold, did they move South?

I got out yesterday Brunswick pt and had a very fun day popping ducks with my partner. We would have limited out except for some bad luck retrieving. With no dog that sucks.

At the same time the snowies are still hanging out in huge numbers at the Coal terminal. We did get a couple opportunities at low snowie flyers who were trying to get there and back. It is really frustrating seeing them there and not being able to get at them. I'm thinking seriously next year is the year I try kayak shooting.

Canadas is reopening soon and I saw sign - scat and feathers - they were hanging out at Brunswick though strangely did not see any.

So many swans. Such big beautiful birds.

My plan from now to closing is to go for ducks and put out a limited number of snowie dekes just to draw in the loners. That seems to be the pattern.
    Last edited by silveragent; 12-09-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks for the report!
    Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I got out yesterday Brunswick pt and had a very fun day popping ducks with my partner. We would have limited out except for some bad luck retrieving. With no dog that sucks.

At the same time the snowies are still hanging out in huge numbers at the Coal terminal. We did get a couple opportunities at low snowie flyers who were trying to get there and back. It is really frustrating seeing them there and not being able to get at them. I'm thinking seriously next year is the year I try kayak shooting.

Canadas is reopening soon and I saw sign - scat and feathers - they were hanging out at Brunswick though strangely did not see any.

So many swans. Such big beautiful birds.

My plan from now to closing is to go for ducks and put out a limited number of snowie dekes just to draw in the loners. That seems to be the pattern.