Thread: opinion of a good all around coat

opinion of a good all around coat

So have decided that I will be purchasing a new coat, and going to drop some coin on a good all around coat for layering. Rain proof is must. I'm am looking at Sitka... mainly because i have a bunch of there products already. Does anyone have any experience with the Stormfront jacket? Would also consider other brands.... but sitka is readily available for me. Any help would be great.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: opinion of a good all around coat

I use the downpour jacket. Layer up underneath when it's cold and leave the zipper open or take it off when it's too warm.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Just bought the First Lite SEAK pants and jacket... phenomenal. Best rain gear I’ve ever used.

I use the Sitka Dewpoint packable rain jacket, it gets stuffed in my pack so I always have it available. I only wear it when it's raining hard. For a water resistant jacket from Sitka, that breathes better than a GoreTex rain jacket, look at the Jetstream. If you're open to other brands, First Lite and Kuiu will have good options
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    Just bought the First Lite SEAK pants and jacket... phenomenal. Best rain gear I’ve ever used.
    hows the noise with this setup? without putting my hands on it, scares me alittle

It’s not anywhere near fleece but very quiet for something that’s true waterproof. The breathabilty is the real selling point though. I hunt mostly blacktail and I just cut a swath up some steep thick elevation in no time flat in a down pour last week. My previous system would have me hanging everything I own from branches. Not this time. Dry as a bone. For me and my location it’s the best all around jacket I could think of but in the drier interior I think you could possibly be better served by a packable rain system as mentioned above.

Sitka Thunderhead jacket, reasonably quiet.

I bought the Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants this year and they have worked great so far. Been in heavy snow and rain. None of these options are cheap but they're definitely worth it if you need to stick it out in shotty weather.