Thread: How to get started in Vancouver

How to get started in Vancouver

I'm a 15 year old who's looking into getting into hunting. Unfortunately, none of my family hunts or has ever hunted so there's no-one that I can go to for mentorship or advice. I tried looking up the regulations to hunt in BC but it becomes extremely confusing because I'm a youth. Just want to know how to get started from 0 knowledge (Anything I need to know, courses that I should take, licences I need, etc...)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to get started in Vancouver

2) Youth Hunting Licence: - Youth 10 years of age or older, and under 18 years of age, that have a FWID may obtain a Hunting Licence OR a Youth Licence. A Youth Hunting Licence can only be issued to a parent or guardian on behalf of his/her child or ward who is 10 years of age or older and under the age of 18. Hunter safety training is not required to obtain a Youth Hunting Licence. The youth hunter, whether or not they have completed a hunter training program, must be accompanied and under the close personal supervision of an adult who carries the proper licences and meets the prescribed qualifications. Non-resident qualifications for a Youth Hunting Licence are the same with the exception that they may not hunt for wildlife for which a LEH authorization is required.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...-2016-2018.pdf

You can also take the CORE hunter safety course at your age, even though you don't need it for the youth hunting license.

This is separate from what you need for firearms. You can shoot under the supervision of someone who has a license or you can go get the firearms license yourself and get an underage license.
    Last edited by silveragent; 10-04-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Ask your folks to put you in a hunter safety course. Then they'll be a lot more comfortable that you know how to be safe - and how to makes sure those around you are being safe as well.

http://www.eatwild.ca/ would be a good place to start. Dylan does CORE certification as well as other hands on hunter education. Join a fish & game club, start attending 3D archery events if you're interested in bowhunting and you will make connections. Just forget about instant gratification and think long term, getting into it without a good mentor is hard and can seem like an uphill battle at times but is also super rewarding and starting at 15 you do have time on your side...also better start putting money aside for a solid 4x4
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

I'd suggest seeing if one of your parents (or an adult your family knows well) would be willing to tag along. Lots of guys on here willing to help out new hunters... but it gets a little weird meeting a 15year old on the internet and driving into the bush. Few of the guys on here (and your mother) will feel more comfortable setting something up if you have an adult come out with you. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    I'd suggest seeing if one of your parents (or an adult your family knows well) would be willing to tag along. Lots of guys on here willing to help out new hunters... but it gets a little weird meeting a 15year old on the internet and driving into the bush. Few of the guys on here (and your mother) will feel more comfortable setting something up if you have an adult come out with you. Just a thought.
    Haha, yeah I can definitely understand that. Unfortunately, none of my family hunts or have any interest in hunting, otherwise I'd be going with them. I'm planning on taking my CORE this November, is there anything I need to do before or anything I should bring/own?

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    http://www.eatwild.ca/ would be a good place to start. Dylan does CORE certification as well as other hands on hunter education. Join a fish & game club, start attending 3D archery events if you're interested in bowhunting and you will make connections. Just forget about instant gratification and think long term, getting into it without a good mentor is hard and can seem like an uphill battle at times but is also super rewarding and starting at 15 you do have time on your side...also better start putting money aside for a solid 4x4
    Picking up my R6 this weekend so 4x4 is going to be a long ways away. Ill look into the CORE class but I'm not particularly interested in bow hunting. If I take the CORE course, is there anything I need to do to prepare before, or anything I should have/own for the course?

You don't need to know anything going into the CORE. You can separately buy the CORE manual and read ahead if you like.