Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how much meat should I expect to get from the butcher?

Re: how much meat should I expect to get from the butcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I always figure 33% wrapped compared to on the hoof. A thousand pound moose will be 500 lbs hanging, about 150 lbs of that will be bones. So you end up with 350 wrapped.

this is the formula / percentage that I have always assumed. 1000 lbs live weight, 60% hanging weight equals 600 lb carcass then 60% of that is cut wrapped equals 360 lb in the freezer. Similar result to Sharpish. What are other guys' views on this? To the OP it seems like you didn't receive everything back to you if you got all the bones.

Where you shoot can make a difference of ounces or xxx pounds. Even a broad side heart lung shot that nicks the back of the front leg can waste a bucket of meat. Faster the impact more waste.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

WRONG! 70% on domestic including bones is standard on custom cutting. 60% on wild game is pretty normal. Especially moose.
    I'm unclear butcher....did you mean 60% of live weight is normal, or 60% of hanging weight

60% of live weight give or take, for a bone in butcher job seems about right to me, but i believe the OP is saying the quarters hanging at the butcher shop totalled 1000lbs and his yield including bones was only 60%. that number doesn't seem right to me. just can't see fat, tendons, silver skin etc accounting for 40%.....wound damage can obviously have a big impact as well.

However, I've been wrong before! I'm assuming by your nickname, you do this for a living, so would be interested to hear your thoughts in a little more detail!

Chris
    Last edited by willyqbc; 10-03-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

60% of hanging weight. Hydrostatic shock ruins a lot of meat on those big boys. I have cut and wrapped several hundred of them. Even if you kept every scrap of junk, trim and bone you won’t get 100%. They’re going to dehydrate when they’re hanging. So you’re weight when it goes in will be greater than when it’s cut up.

And yeah I’ve heard all the stories about how certain Caliber rifles let you eat everything right up to the bullet hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    100%? Your butcher spent no time trimming fat?
    Always a big bag of dog food when I’m done trimming
    Sausage, pepperoni, etc can increase weight as pork and fat added.
    The 100% was including trim .... each moose was 400+ lbs and we weighed all the boxes including the scrap/bones/ fat and that 's what we got back .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    The 100% was including trim .... each moose was 400+ lbs and we weighed all the boxes including the scrap/bones/ fat and that 's what we got back .

Your butcher must have gone to Hogwarts.

1000lb live weight, probably 600lb hanging (4 quarters with neck/ribs), probably yield 350lbs of meat +/- and this will include some dog food scraps
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hmmm my father was a bc meat inspector and my father -inlaw was a butcher . Beef go 55-60% of live weight depending on breed and game Always is higher . Although given some of the game I have seen hanging in coolers .... I could see it going much lower .

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Your butcher must have gone to Hogwarts.
    or he treated the meat just as I do .... that the only game I ever took to a butcher and that was only because it was a group hunt and we had 2 .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Hmmm my father was a bc meat inspector and my father -inlaw was a butcher . Beef go 55-60% of live weight depending on breed and game Always is higher . Although given some of the game I have seen hanging in coolers .... I could see it going much lower .
    55-60 % of live is your carcass weight. 70% of that will be cut and wrapped weight which includes some marrow bones but no waste. You are right about some of the stuff that comes in from hunters. It would put you off eating game again.