Thread: New plan... curious about Avola and surrounding area

New plan... curious about Avola and surrounding area

Well, we had a nice scouting trip in the spring. 2 of the areas we earmarked for our mid october hunt burnt. The other one apparently has nateevs putting up roadblocks (don't get me started!)

So, its going to be a bit of a crap shoot where we go. I was wondering if anyone has some insight on the area around Avola, just north east of Mcmurphy

We'll be out deer hunting with moose tags just in case. Not looking for a honey hole but its tough when your well planned out sites get burnt 2 years in a row. Not looking for a beast of a deer either, we are meat hunters and just do it to get outside..

Thanks all, and happy hunting!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New plan... curious about Avola and surrounding area

Avola gives me the creeps every time I drive through there. Feels like I'm driving into a Stephen king novel. Lol
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Damn good burgers

Avola not your best bet for deer. Better to stop around Vavenby although that’s no screaming hell these days either. We got some snow last couple days and some of that high country is tough to access. Bring chains and power saw! If you insist on Avola you can hunt FSRs like mcmurphy, east mad, avola mtn. Good luck to you.

oh and watch out for that creepy killer clown! Lol

seriously, go visit Lunch Pail at the avola gas station. Strike up a conversation and report back.
    Last edited by butcher; 10-03-2018 at 09:04 PM.

OK maybe back to the drawing board sounds like an eerie town (would love to hear the story!) and not much encouragement about wildlife traffic.. Hmmm where to!

Good Jerky at the gas bar... even better conversation. Met a local there that told me a cracker jack spot for bears... cross the bridge at Vavenby and head toward McMurphy...
    Head up to Skyline or Graffunder... the area does hold moose, but I doubt you will find a unicorn there. I am guessing 'just in case' infers a spike...?

There is so much snow up toward skyline and graffunder and trees on the road even the loggers weren’t going up there this week.

The biggest buck I have seen the last 5 years was less then a km from avola. In Aug...don’t bother going high..Avola is migration corridor..few deer winter there but deer definitely pass thru..with some luck in timing it is a decent place to hunt...with a chance for a whitetail along river....
    Last edited by horshur; 10-04-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)