Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS Recommendations

GPS Recommendations

I managed to get turned around in the fog on a solo deer huntin the alpine two weeks ago and while was never really lost, I wasn't certain which way was back to the landing and my truck. As darkness approached and I was soaked to the core I was near preparing to lean up against a tree for the night.

Fortunately the skies cleared momentarily enough for me to make a landmark and reach my vehicle before dark.

I had been using Google earth on my phone but didn't have a spare battery pack and was loosing battery to fast to use phone any longer.

I also had neglected to take my compass.

Anyway, I vowed to get a hand held GPS unit and am wondering what the other hunters are using. I don't want to just order one and find that it doesn't work well in BC's areas.

If I could get some recommendations and reasons why you purchased that unit, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

David
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS Recommendations

I like the Garmin 64s with the backroads mapbook card. Reliable positioning ,durable, digital compass, easy to use with gloves on, and the BRMB mapping is awesome.

Garmin Montana 650. Backroads mapbook card. Big screen, AA batteries.

Probably obsolete by now.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    I like the Garmin 64s with the backroads mapbook card. Reliable positioning ,durable, digital compass, easy to use with gloves on, and the BRMB mapping is awesome.
    x2. i have the same one. On amazon.ca it was well under $200. Maybe $160 or so on sale.

If the alpine is steep it's pretty easy to find your way .... if its somewhat flat, it can be tricky. it all starts to look the same around you. Been there before. Not fun.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

You have it on your phone David, put your phone on airplane mode and the battery will last for a Cpl days as long as you keep it near your body(warm) or from freezing.

I use Canada maps free app and then flag where I start hiking from and then throw a flag on the map at certain points,IE-Camp-where you rested, good glassing spots or where you changed directions, you can also track yourself, it also has a compass bearing to any of the flags you posted one your maps, Dave Marsh got me onto it about 5 years ago and its all I use.

carry a small solar charger in your pack and you don't need anything else !
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 10-03-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Carry a small battery charge pack besides using airplane mode or even shutting the phone totally off when you don't use it for a few hours, or at night when camped out. Walmart sells one for $20 that has kept my phone going for 11 days of a lot of use texting with the InReach, photos and navigating. I also have a smaller one that will charge the phone about one time when it is run down.

What everyone else said, and always carry a compass and a map. You will be glad you have it when your "plastic brains" battery packs in.

I use the Garmin 64s as well with the BC backroads card. That and I always carry extra batteries. The phone airplane mode works too.
    Tight groups Safe hunts

Garmin 64st here with backroads chip.. best money I have spent hunting wise.

I now carry a Garmin Etrex 20x with backroads, extra batteries and a compass, and my phone as a backup... I haven't carried a map in years, but probably should...