Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine opener success

Re: Alpine opener success

I range the patch of timber several times for if he comes out to the side or below it and settle in on 275 yards as the number to dial my Leupold CDS scope to. And I wait. And then I wait some more.
    About two hours later there is, at last, some movement. I see a rack moving about through some brush, and then a body. He’s standing up!

He takes his time stepping out into the clear and I follow him in the cross hairs. He emerges fully and I click the safety off. He stops, puts his head down to feed and moves his front leg ever so slightly forward. I squeeze the trigger slowly.
    The trusty 270 Winchester goes off and hurls a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip his way. No sooner had I felt the recoil than Chris’s confirmation of a “good hit! Good hit!”

The buck stumbled back and looked to go down but recovered enough to take a couple of steps forward before dropping to the ground. He dropped and immediately began to slide down the steep alpine slope. He clipped a small bush on his way down and began to tumble one end over the other and slid down and out of view. Time of death: September 1, 2:33pm.

We exchange high fives and Chris tells me he saw blood spray out of the buck’s mouth after the hit. Says he was ready to film it with his phone and asks why I didn’t give him a heads up. I don’t know … I suppose I was focused on making a good shot and not really thinking about getting it on video at the time. Now I wish I had. No hunt is exempt from mistakes. This one is no exception. I’ll have to add a mistakes section at the end …. Or perhaps I’ll call it “lessons learned” as that’s the more important part!

Shortly after we decide to part ways. Chris continues to search for a buck of his own, one with a decent frame that we couldn’t ID as a legal 4 point due to the wind picking up and shaking our spotters, and I drop down to search for my buck.

I drop a lot lower than I expected or wanted to, but I have no choice. In the very bottom of the creek I finally find the buck. He slid and tumbled several hundred yards down the hill that at this point not only was his velvet completely stripped off, but even his summer coat had been largely shed away leaving an almost entirely different looking animal behind. You can see scars on his coat from where his own rack kept stabbing him on the downhill tumble!

I am more bummed out about his location than the velvet being gone. He was in a creek bottom and in terrain steep enough that even if I tried to move him a little he would slide down a few yards at a time. I am unable to take a picture with the buck so I pull out some rope and just tie off his rack to the only solid rock around and begin my work.

more to come ...

Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-03-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Great story miss hunting in BC already and it was only a few weeks..

He is a heavy beast. Deboned and packed up I begin my ascent and immediately start having thoughts of how the hell am I going to get him and all of my basecamp out of here?!? The creek comes in useful to wash my knife and my hands and replenish my water supply. I climb my way straight up as the steep walled creek gives me no choice. I make it back only a couple of hundred yards past the shooting position and I’m dead tired. I’m tired of hiking, my back hurts from working hunched over the carcass in the creek and on top of it all I’m losing light. I call it a day here.

You'll have to excuse the blurred background in this one

Great read. Part 3 is shaping up to be a hell of a grind!!
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

great story thanks for posting
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

That is one heck of a nice mulie!
    Getting him in the alpine sure makes it special...

I find a small, flat spot in a little patch of timber and set up a spike camp. I string up one tarp for protection from the wind and another one as a ground sheet. I pull out the orange emergency bivy I always carry with me and slip it over my sleeping bag to keep the sap off of it. With some baybel cheese and pepperoni as dinner, I use my pack as a pillow and settle in for another night on the mountain. The zlite foam glassing pad may only be 2' by 2', but it sure comes in handy under the torso to lift you off the ground ever so slightly.

up next .... the LONG haul .....

Alpine spike camp .... or Abbotsford homeless shelter? You decide ....

Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.

great hunt and story! My plan is to hunt the alpine more this year and next. Seems to be where the cranker elk/dee hide.

Lacks $2500 Mountain Bike out front - not Abbotsford homeless shelter!!!!
    Nice buck, great story so far..........Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I find a small, flat spot in a little patch of timber and set up a spike camp. I string up one tarp for protection from the wind and another one as a ground sheet. I pull out the orange emergency bivy I always carry with me and slip it over my sleeping bag to keep the sap off of it. With some baybel cheese and pepperoni as dinner, I use my pack as a pillow and settle in for another night on the mountain. The zlite foam glassing pad may only be 2' by 2', but it sure comes in handy under the torso to lift you off the ground ever so slightly.

up next .... the LONG haul .....

Alpine spike camp .... or Abbotsford homeless shelter? You decide ....