Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine opener success

Re: Alpine opener success

Where’s the toilet paper? Lol. Great stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest.

Great looking thread and pics so far....I don't see a compass or a map of the area in your kit, I strongly suggest bringin them if you aren't already..

Really super thread coming along folks! 270 knows his stuff for sure, and can do computer really well also.
    --awesome photos too
    hbc has some classy hunters folks. Looking forward as it goes along for some great country pix.
    Jelly ( Big Gun ) Cortez

Gorgeous! Sounds like an absolute blast!! One day i’ll find a hunting buddy willin to make the trek to the alpine with me ! Cant wait for part 2!!!
    ~Wes

Looks like he made his 1 buck a gooder.

Awesome read..

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

see if you would have listened to us on HBC and got yourself that 1000 yard gun set up out of the box for 12,000USD we wouldn't have to wait for you to practice you stalking skills...........geeez

Carry on !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Your contents pic has a pack of condoms. Were you hunting brokeback mt?
    Hunting the promised land

Where’s the toilet paper? Lol. Great stuff so far. Looking forward to the rest.
    There's a 1/4 roll flattened out under the small first aid kit in the upper right

Great looking thread and pics so far....I don't see a compass or a map of the area in your kit, I strongly suggest bringin them if you aren't already..
    No need. I've been here before and know it would be pretty hard for me to get turned around. There's a distinct gully you hike up through and a distinct pass to go over ... can't be confused with any other. Plus i have a GPS with a topo on it and spare batteries for retracing my steps ... all good.

Your contents pic has a pack of condoms. Were you hunting brokeback mt?
    Nope, i don't see any in that pic .... and no ... It was Bareback mountain ... Wanna go?

I’m up bright and early and behind the glass in short order. My appetite tends to decline significantly when I’m up on the mountain, so breakfast is a handful of junk food while I begin to scan the hills of yesterday.
    We locate the deer a short distance away from their hangout spot from yesterday and watch them for the next few hours. My home made phone-scope proves to be very reliable and I take numerous good quality videos with it. Wind gusts on and off, shaking the spotters intermittently but we manage. I pick out my buck from yesterday as well and follow him with the spotting scope for the next few hours.

The beauty of the alpine is amplified by the ability to watch wild game, undisturbed. Glassing game, ANY GAME, without them knowing is one of the coolest experiences for me. They're so at peace.

The season is officially under way and we need a game plan. We wait until we can be sure most of the deer are bedded out of sight and hope that when we can’t see them, they can’t see us. We descent our ridge, fully exposed, and make our way closer. I take note of where Mr.BrowTine bedded down and keep an eye on it as frequently as I can.

We cross some smaller ridges and cliffs, going in and out of view, but I’m convinced Mr.BrowTine hasn’t moved yet. I range the distance and its 1200 yards, then 750, then 550. Now we are closing in, but if I can make it to the next patch of timber unseen, I figure I’d be within 300 yards. I’d be a lot more comfortable with that.

Using what little shrubbery there is at 6800 feet we sneak in to our shooting spot. I still can’t see the deer, but I’m convinced he’s got to be there still. I lay the pack down, rifle on top of it and get comfortable while Chris dials the spotter in on the patch of timber

Here are a couple more alpine boys hanging out above the tree line.
    Small patches of timber like this is what they LOVE to bed behind when the mid day summer heat gets a little too much. If the area holds deer, you should definitely see well worn beds inside or in the shady sides of patches like this.