Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine opener success

Re: Alpine opener success

Pretty fancy underwear in the first pic. I say that was the good luck not the handle bars Stache. Can I borrow them.

Nate

Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing. Yes packing heavy loads can be both mentally and physically exhausting. One foot in front of the other and lots of breaks are needed.
    Live to Hunt...

Nicely done!!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The last couple of years I have been plagued with my feet fatiguing first, and I have not been able to figure it out. No blisters. No hotspots. Just an unquenchable desire to sit and take the weight off my feet to make the burning sensation in my heels go away.

My breaks became more and more frequent. Every deadfall log I crossed became an opportunity to straddle it for a while and take the pressure off my feet. Break after break after break ….. We kept losing elevation, but it was slow. The last portion in the rain, slipping all over the place and we finally reached the truck, just as our water supply had run out. Chris beat me by some 15 minutes as I think he was finally sick and tired of hearing me say “I can’t do this anymore” every 45 seconds and powered on ahead.

The whole thing in one day, with an entire deboned buck on my back was a bit too much for me …. Almost. If Chris hadn’t pushed me to keep at it and get out of there I would have, without a doubt, made camp and just dealt with whatever dehydration issues there may have been during the night and next day. I was so done. My feet were so fatigued by this point that I could barely string 10 steps together before having to sit down! But it WAS raining .... probably could've gone around licking leaves and rehydrated enough by morning

We hopped in the truck and arrived home in the early morning hours of Sept 3rd. It was the longest packout I’ve ever done and by far the hardest.

Sorry .... was too busy trying to get out of there in one piece to be taking any photos. Not that anyone wants to look at a bunch of deadfall and the back of Chris's pack. lol.
    Great hunt. Thanks for taking us along. You mentioned a burning sensation in the heals of your feet. Talk with a podiatrist or have a look on the net. It could possibly be tarsel tunnel syndrome your suffering from. Worth getting checked out before you damage your feet.

^ What he said re podiatrist. I was getting it bad if I ran at all and, somewhere along my roll up to age 40, I developed Achilles tendinitis and now that colours a lot of what I do. Boot selection, whether I wear my orthotics, that kinda thing.

Great story...tough hunt but great lookin' buck.

Great story, congrats !
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by natebavis View Post
    Pretty fancy underwear in the first pic. I say that was the good luck not the handle bars Stache. Can I borrow them.

Nate
    no man, that's weird ... but i can sell 'em.
    $40 clean
    $70 unwashed to retain that alpine zest

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Great hunt. Thanks for taking us along. You mentioned a burning sensation in the heals of your feet. Talk with a podiatrist or have a look on the net. It could possibly be tarsel tunnel syndrome your suffering from. Worth getting checked out before you damage your feet.
    It started over a year ago when i was breaking in a pair of Lowa Tibet boots ... my feet simply did not enjoy the stiff sole boots like those and i started getting symptoms of plantaar fasciitis. Toctor told me to get custom orthotics and just stop wearing boots that were causing it, which i did. Not sure that the orthotics helped much .... but you are right, i need to see a dedicated podiatrist, which i will do soon, as i have coverage from work specifically for that as well.

weird double post. scratch that!

Way to set the bar and meet it !
    Tell it how it is!!!