Thread: Nov 11th: Waterfowl Hunting 101

Nov 11th: Waterfowl Hunting 101

Delta Waterfowl (Western Canada) is conducting a Waterfowl Hunting 101 seminar at PCDHFC in 5000 Harper Rd. Coquitlam on November 11th. This is open to everyone new to waterfowling and the registration fee $25 will include a year membership in Delta Waterfowl. Enjoy a day of learning waterfowl ID, hunting strategies, duck calling, shotgun safety & stay to take part in PCDHFC's regular trap and skeet day. To register please email Emily Lamb at elamb@deltawaterfowl.org

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Nov 11th: Waterfowl Hunting 101

This seminar is coming up this Sunday in Coquitlam.

Awesome opportunity. Please take a minute of silence at 1111.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Awesome opportunity. Please take a minute of silence at 1111.
    Agree fully with Ron.C
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

Yes unfortunate scheduling but I definitely will ask the organizer for a moment and will have a poppy can out.

This went very well for the very first event for the nascent chapter of Delta Waterfowl. Emily Lamb, Delta's western Canadian regional manager came out with her lab Tony to first spend some time in the classroom talking about the science and history of waterfowling in North America. She then went onto basic strategies: scouting, identification, preparation. Before the morning ended she demonstrated basic calling for the various duck and goose species and then we went outside where she ran Tony through retrieving training and talked about safe etiquette for human and dogs in the field. In the afternoon the students participated in a modified skeet game. Some of them had not ever handled a shotgun before and others who had found themselves challenged by the fast moving crossing clays.

In the history section I found it interesting to learn about the era of market hunting and how people in the early part of the 20th century started to lose their taste for wild game when large scale agriculture and ranches began modifying the types of meats available to the growing population. Also there was the sobering news that the exit of the baby boomer population means obviously a decline in hunting which has only in recent years began to bottom out and begin climbing again. Emily said as far as outreach goes that youth hunting - sadly - hadn't proved to be an ideal method of recruitment because after a youth hunt without longterm mentoring there is too much competition for youth activities. She said the biggest success has been in "college-aged" outreach.

A first of hopefully many future events to come.

Anyone know if this will be run again anytime soon? I couldn’t make it on the 11th but it looks like it was well worth it. Something I would definitely like to go to.

I didn't hear about any future events planned but you can contact Emily at elamb@deltawaterfowl.org to show your interest. This was actually the first event for the new local chapter of Delta. They are calling themselves West Coast Waterfowlers so I would expect will have other events planned. She can put you in touch.

For events at PCDHFC you can get on the Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pcdhfc

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Yes unfortunate scheduling but I definitely will ask the organizer for a moment and will have a poppy can out.
    BTW there was a moment of silence at 11:11

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I didn't hear about any future events planned but you can contact Emily at elamb@deltawaterfowl.org to show your interest. This was actually the first event for the new local chapter of Delta. They are calling themselves West Coast Waterfowlers so I would expect will have other events planned. She can put you in touch.

For events at PCDHFC you can get on the Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pcdhfc

Awesome - thanks Silveragent