Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer power wagon owners

Newer power wagon owners

Was thinking of a newer dodge power wagon. Anyone own one ? and what do you think of it?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newer power wagon owners

Friend I go hunting with has one, bought it new last year. As far as I know he is happy with it. As for truck, I went with him last year and I couldn't believe what that truck does. Over ditches rocks, mud it's unstoppable. It came lifted and I think 35" off road tires, with 15000lbs winch and equipment wise it is loaded. All possible features that you need and then some. He drives it to work every day and from what he told me from Langley to Delta city driving it is around 13-14l/100km. When hauling a trailer up Crowsnest highway it was around 26-28 l/100km. I know I liked it a lot.

I looked at them when I was truck shopping the one that instantly had me stop looking was the hidden steps that pop out. The potential for mud, ice, and snow messing up the system causing it to jam and motor to burn out because of it was too high of a risk. I do live in northern BC and my trucks are off pavement 50% of the time and go places many won’t push into.

The power wagon has some nice features but I could see a big issue with this one for my use

I looked at the power wagon, rebel, Tacoma and ZR2. I went with a diesel ZR2 but it does have the negative of its smaller size but I am not hauling a big trailer and it easily handles my boat/atv.

They all have perks but downsides as well that you need to decide if you’re use will draw out problems

I have one. Mine is a 2005 but I know quite a bit about the newer ones. 5.7 345 horse hemi until 2010 then the 5.7 was bumped to 383 horses. In 2014 it went to a 6.4L 410 hp hemi. 4.56 gearing until 2013 then in 2014 went to 4.10’s. They all came with a 2” or so lift over non power wagon dodge 2500’s. The payload is less than other 2500’s though since they are sprung a bit lighter to help wheel articulation. Stock they all come with a true 33” dia tire but 35’s do fit with no modifications. Electric sway bar disconnect and both axles have electric locking differentials. They also come stock with a Warn 12,000lb winch.

The 2014 models do have a bit more power and somewhat better fuel economy over the older ones. The 4.56 gearing does make up for a bit of it though and with 35’s on mine the fuel economy picked up a bit on the highway but it’s still not great. Off-road the thing is a beast, and nothing in the way of a stock pickup will keep up to it with both ends locked and the extra ground clearance the small lift and 35’s give it.

Mine has 210k on it and has had no major issues. It’s also on the original front end and drives great. I’d buy another and have actually looked at it a few times but I’m cheap and a new one isn’t.

FYI, the drop step that Wild One mentions is probably a dealer added option and not stock from what I’ve seen, or at least none that I’ve looked at had them so you can definitely get one without them.
    Last edited by fuzzybiscuit; 10-02-2018 at 07:37 AM.

only truck i ever bought brand new...
    takla saw it a beuty could do anything.. sadly i needed a downpayment on a nother house so i sold it...mine was 06...only issue was front end went at like 25,000

If it had been diesel im thinking you would have kept it WWD.Altho not a PW my 05 extended cab diesel 3/4 ton has been my best truck and ive owned a few.I bought mine new in 05.
    Mine averages 23 m/g wont get that with a power wagon!Yes i saw Walks Wd power wagon...nice!

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I have one. Mine is a 2005 but I know quite a bit about the newer ones. 5.7 345 horse hemi until 2010 then the 5.7 was bumped to 383 horses. In 2014 it went to a 6.4L 410 hp hemi. 4.56 gearing until 2013 then in 2014 went to 4.10’s. They all came with a 2” or so lift over non power wagon dodge 2500’s. The payload is less than other 2500’s though since they are sprung a bit lighter to help wheel articulation. Stock they all come with a true 33” dia tire but 35’s do fit with no modifications. Electric sway bar disconnect and both axles have electric locking differentials. They also come stock with a Warn 12,000lb winch.

The 2014 models do have a bit more power and somewhat better fuel economy over the older ones. The 4.56 gearing does make up for a bit of it though and with 35’s on mine the fuel economy picked up a bit on the highway but it’s still not great. Off-road the thing is a beast, and nothing in the way of a stock pickup will keep up to it with both ends locked and the extra ground clearance the small lift and 35’s give it.

Mine has 210k on it and has had no major issues. It’s also on the original front end and drives great. I’d buy another and have actually looked at it a few times but I’m cheap and a new one isn’t.

FYI, the drop step that Wild One mentions is probably a dealer added option and not stock from what I’ve seen, or at least none that I’ve looked at had them so you can definitely get one without them.
    How much of an up charge was the power wagon over a regular 2500 back when you bought yours?

Jusr curious. Thanks.

Having lockers at both ends is definitely a game changer. No doubt.

the think would climb a pile of gravel mid span with the articulating suspension and lockers.. they could climb anything..

I love nice vehicles but sadly realestate took precidence. the front end became a recall

and yes nothing beats a 3500 6 speed diesel I remember when takla bought his never seen a more powerfull fuel efficient truck..

today I am happy with my tundra with upgraded suspension so it can take a load.

i read this whole thread and no one pointed out that only scrap heaps have older power wagons....JUST KIDDING dodge owners...heheheh