Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 Twist Rate for Predator Rifle

223 Twist Rate for Predator Rifle

I’m looking to get a dedicated predator rifle. I currently use a 22mag on yotes with good success but I’d like to extend the range. This rifle would double as a range gun. Hence why I’m leaning towards a T3 in 223 as it should be somewhat similar to my Sako big game game rifle.

Now, the the small dilemma.... I would like to be able to take a wolf with this as well so using heavier bullets (I don’t handload).

What twist do I get the rifle in? Will the 12 be enough to shoot the heavier bullets or will the 8 be too fast for the 55gr? I’m leaning towards the 8 but please tell me your thoughts.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 223 Twist Rate for Predator Rifle

8" twist will work fine with bullets down to 40 gr and up to 80 some grains in my experience in a .223.

I cant remember the web site but there is a ton of information out there on this subject. Yes the heavy bullets ( 75 gr range ) really need a 7 twist but we shoot them out of an 8 with good success.

A 9" will spin some of the 75's on the market.....

Don't hamstring yourself with a 12" twisted rifle. You won't have any issues with lighter bullets out of an 8" twist.

I have a Mossberg MVP Varmint with 24" and 1:9. For a cheap rifle it's a tack driver with 53gr V-Max. It did not like what I fed it in the 40gr.

there's no downside to the 8 twist Tikka. Rather than going heavier, I would look at a stouter constructed bullet for wolf. Federal loads a 62gr Fusion, 60gr Nosler Partition, and Barnes does a 50gr TSX. Another option would be the Hornady 73gr ELD Match ammo, but it may fragment on impact despite its heavier weight
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I had been thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
    I cant remember the web site but there is a ton of information out there on this subject. Yes the heavy bullets ( 75 gr range ) really need a 7 twist but we shoot them out of an 8 with good success.
    www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

I've used that in the past.

I have a ruger american predator 223 with a 1:8 twist with the same purpose as your intentions. It stabilizes a hornady 73 grain eld match bullet going 2750 fps at the muzzle has a .398 b.c . Hopping to see what it does to a coyote but haven't got the opportunity yet.

Sure a 223 is enough for a tough old wolf?