Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting is essential for success.

Re: Scouting is essential for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhunting View Post
    Scouting will obviously increase your odds for success, but having an understanding of how game uses habitat and hown to read sign is perhaps more important. You could spend the whole year scouting but if you don't know what to look for, it's a waste of time. We just got back with a nice bull from an area we had never set foot in before because we knew where to look and what to look for.
    Well, a combination of this and the OP is exactly why you see a handful of members that rarely if ever eat tag soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhunting View Post
    Scouting will obviously increase your odds for success, but having an understanding of how game uses habitat and hown to read sign is perhaps more important. You could spend the whole year scouting but if you don't know what to look for, it's a waste of time. We just got back with a nice bull from an area we had never set foot in before because we knew where to look and what to look for.
    Definitely correct, the more experience you have the quicker you'll figure out how to hunt a new area without wasting time on unproductive areas.

Even so, in a new area it pays to spend the first day of a week long hunt doing some exploring so you can figure out where to focus your efforts.

Scouting? What's that??

I thought all I needed to do was wear a bunch of expensive camo, buy a super fast quad, shoot a magnum rifle, spray a bunch of deer pee all over the place and I'm good to go... No???

Just my thoughts.

SCOUTIT1

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Scouting? What's that??

I thought all I needed to do was wear a bunch of expensive camo, buy a super fast quad, shoot a magnum rifle, spray a bunch of deer pee all over the place and I'm good to go... No???

Just my thoughts.

SCOUTIT1
    Are you Vancouver Island hunter at Tunkwa? Lol

Seriously though .... get out and scout boys and girls!

I think I gotta start paying for maintenance on our 3 vehicles and the yard and dropping fishing altogether if I wanna scout more... lol

Scouting makes it so much easier. When you know an area and you know where the animals travel then you are golden. However, I kinda have this thought that the true test of a hunter is to plunk him down in unfamiliar territory and see if he can make it happen.

The OP has made one of the most valid points on outdoor success and I am so pleased he started this thread.
    I hope it becomes a go to where hunters looking for guidance can review.

If you invest in scouting hard you quickly understand the various habitats that specific game animals prefer.
    Know how to identify habitat and the drivers that attract wildlife, with that understanding you start playing at a higher level.

Truly hope this thread gains traction.

Knowledge and understanding is key

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Years ago my favorite activity was to drive all over the province with my truck and ride all over the place with my atv. Loved it!

From an "adventure" perspective it was the best thing ever. From a "hunting" perspective not so much.

I had a great time and managed to find occasional "success" back then, but once I started to learn to pattern how animals moved around (in areas I then frequented more often, and then also applied that knowledge to "new" areas), my hunting success went way up.

I think that scouting, when done properly, will tell you a whole bunch of things not just about specific animals in a specific area, but how all animals move around in all areas.

Scouting in the off season allows me to take the time to think through the "hows and whys" without worrying about whether or not I'm going to shoot something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    The OP has made one of the most valid points on outdoor success and I am so pleased he started this thread.
    I hope it becomes a go to where hunters looking for guidance can review.

If you invest in scouting hard you quickly understand the various habitats that specific game animals prefer.
    Know how to identify habitat and the drivers that attract wildlife, with that understanding you start playing at a higher level.

Truly hope this thread gains traction.

Knowledge and understanding is key
    I appreciate that . At the end of the day, lots can be done to increase your odds but I am a firm believer that is the most important. It also teaches you about the elk when you scout them. Ever since I have done that, I have shot multiple heads of game every year. Tag soup is a thing of the past for me and I can tell it is for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Years ago my favorite activity was to drive all over the province with my truck and ride all over the place with my atv. Loved it!

From an "adventure" perspective it was the best thing ever. From a "hunting" perspective not so much.

I had a great time and managed to find occasional "success" back then, but once I started to learn to pattern how animals moved around (in areas I then frequented more often, and then also applied that knowledge to "new" areas), my hunting success went way up.

I think that scouting, when done properly, will tell you a whole bunch of things not just about specific animals in a specific area, but how all animals move around in all areas.

Scouting in the off season allows me to take the time to think through the "hows and whys" without worrying about whether or not I'm going to shoot something.
    when I scout I usually take the following steps.

1. Google earth the area I think holds elk . I look for drainages and south facing slopes.

2. I quad into the area and from there I hike a few km and look for tracks, rubs and wallows.

3. I find the high ground and glass with my spotting scope

4. If good sign is found set up a game cam and salt

5. Figure out the wind and what it likes to do in the am and pm.

6. Find how the elk are moving and where the bulls and drinking. They need like 10 gallons a day.

7. Go in opening morning and light it up with a cow call and bugle .

8. Game dead.

Phenology...look it up.
    a book about fishing explores its use as an aid(phenological fly)
    coles notes environmental conditions that cause one biological phenomenon cause others. So if a plant is blooming at your house in Calgary...the stonefly are hatching.
    If the aspen are golden...what are your mule deer doing?
    First frost?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)