Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabiston creek rd(

Re: Sabiston creek rd(

ATV for Hunting Closed Areas: The operation of all ATVs to hunt wildlife, transport wildlife, transport equipment and supplies which are intended for or in support of hunting, or transport hunters to and from the location of wildlife is prohibited in Management Units 3-28, 3-29 and 3-30 from September 1 to December 10

Some nice mulies hang around there. Find low pressure spots and enjoy a good hunt.

ah 20 years back sabiston creeck area was real mulies heaven...no need to make empty trip there..only brob. was not to many lakes for set up the camp..just sabiston lake ,,with 1 or 2 camp areas,,mostly occupied with old fellas..most of the time we just camp in the bush..
    nowdays it is almost all logged ,,no near that many deer left..maybe more black bears and wolves,, just good memories left..

Hunt the North side of the lake between Savona - Tranquille ... Eagle hills also ... put the boots on and pack and give er ..... good luck !!! : )

I tried to go up Criss Creek yesterday from Deadman and was stopped by a herd of cows at the cattle guard at 4 km. They wanted to go home because of the snow and were all lined up facing down hill and I couldn't go past them. It was straight up and down mountain side on both sides of the road and they were just standing there hock deep in manure waiting for the taxi. Oddly enough, the bull was 500 metres down hill laying down, calmly chewing his cud.

We had a great hunt,took two young bucks.Didn’t see any big bucks but lots of does which is a good sign.( one guy stopped say he had taken a 4 point chasing a doe already which is likely the early rut ahead of the main rut a month later )The advice to get off the roads and hike the ridges and pockets resulted in lots of deer seen.Some areas didn’t have much sign,but others held a lot of deer.It was just a matter of locating them.But from what I saw,the mule deer population was in good shape ,and I think the big boys will be be out and about in about another month when the rut is on,but until then they tend to stay out of sight.
    I had expected to see more grouse,ther were a few but not many.Didn’t see any coyotes or see any wolf sign and no bears
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-06-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Congrats on a the bucks and good to hear you enjoyed yourself

Had a whitetail tag in my pocket but never saw one ,lots of mule deer does though,bodes well for mulies

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Had a whitetail tag in my pocket but never saw one ,lots of mule deer does though,bodes well for mulies
    Like I said don’t hunt the area so can’t really say if there is a reasonable wt population in the area especially with BCs habit of applying liberal wt seasons to very few wt

In many places tactics and locations targeted within an area will dictate if you even see a wt. Yes md and wt will mix in some areas but no doubt they have habitat they prefer. I have seen hunters struggle to find wt in areas with good populations but see md all day. Majority of deer hunters in BC run md tactics and when targeting deer hunt areas that are geared to md as that is the species they know

If you really want a wt in my opinion you will be way more successful focusing on locations and tactics geared to wt. Most areas I target wt still hunting is not going to be effective because it’s too thick to be stealthy even.

Huge increase in success rate for wt approaching the hunt with them as the number one goal targeting areas better suited for them and tactics geared for hunting them. Stands, blinds, and cams are nice but not a must so it’s not a gear thing. Without doing this it’s really just carrying a tag in case of an opportunity

Your success seeing and taking md this trip I assume you’re locations and tactics were better suited for md

Do I presume WT hunting is more successful by hunting from a stand and waiting for them to move?