Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axe for solo hunting

Re: Axe for solo hunting

Quote Originally Posted by avadad View Post
    I don't carry an axe on my solo hunts unless I'm car camping. There's always a folding saw in my hunt kit however.
    This is what I do now, I used to carry a hatchet, but prefer the folding saw, lighter and more compact..

Quote Originally Posted by RootBear View Post
    I've tried to find it online but they always out of stock.
    Can you please post a link from where I can buy a small one?

Looks like Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe (1.5 lbs) with 16" Handle #115 is good for hunting..
    Just saw some on Ebay.com one hunting axe close to what your looking for ... says free international shipping.

www.warriorsandwonders.com has what your looking for ,I believe they are out of Canada ...most likely your best option ... they have the axe your looking for in stock .. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    www.warriorsandwonders.com has what your looking for ,I believe they are out of Canada ...most likely your best option ... they have the axe your looking for in stock .. : )
    Great choice, thanks Ferenc. Re: ebay - do not trust them

I'd skip the swedish axes for use in rough country. Yes they are sharp and hold and edge, but the trade off is a very hard and brittle edge, easy to chip. Stick with a cheap Fiskars. They are sharp, have a light plastic handle and lifetime warranty as well.

A good folding saw is a good alternative to cut up pecker poles in rounds or chop down small dead trees.

Does anyone make a quality machete with a saw on the back?

I for one cant imagine what a $300 axe does that my $60 fiskar can't.

My crappy $25 gerber machete/saw is handy af. I'd take it over an axe for sure. The saw works, not great but I have cut up 6" diameter trees with it. It's not fast like my folder or bow saw but it does cut what's too big to chop.

Of aomeone makes a good alternative, that would be my choice. In fact if anyone knows of a good combo unit, please enlighten me as I am interested.

Buy yourself a estwing light and tough

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post

I for one cant imagine what a $300 axe does that my $60 fiskar can't.
    That's cause you probably haven't used a good axe.

A fiskars axe feels and performs like a sledgehammer after you've used a good quality axe - they are poorly balanced and and take twice the effort to get the same result as a well made forest axe. There is a huge difference.

Even the cheap cold steel forest axe will cut circles around a fiskars & has better steel. They are good for camp axes - cheap and tough.

Get a quality folding saw or arborist type saw Silky with a scabbard. Also buy a BK9 great around a camp and you can baton the BK9 with a chunk of wood and split wood up. Try Warriors and Wonders for all things knives and I think they may even have folding saws
    Arctic Lake

I own several Gransfors, a couple Husquvarna and a couple Fiskars.

I hate to say it, but I think the Fiskars splitting maul is as good or better than any of my forged heirloom pieces. It took me a long time to warm up to it but it is weirdly efficient at splitting.

I have a Fiskars hatchet too and it sucks compared to my Gransfors axes. Every Gransfors I've bought has come sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm. A wicked sharp axe is a hell of a tool in the right hands.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?