Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Axe for solo hunting

Re: Axe for solo hunting

Fiskars X7 is still my go to, cut a lot of trail cut with it. Although it was mostly stunted spruce and alders.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Every Gransfors I've bought has come sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm. A wicked sharp axe is a hell of a tool in the right hands.
    And that right there is usually the reason some prefer certain axes over others. Knowing what a sharp axe is and how to get there is the most important factor regardless of who made it.
    Knowing how to sharpening knives and axes properly is the best tool. A good axe file and a stone combined with the proper grease will make anything cut.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

A decent axe witll run you $100 from the store. Buy a spare handle while you are there $20. A file will last a long time if you don't let it rust $10.

Iltis or Council Tools are nice ones

The geometry of the edge is what does the work. Too thin and you stick the axe, too blunt and you'll look to see if you used the wrong end. But it has to be steep enough to knock out the chip. I found an old Sandvik in a thrift store, it's light enough to use one handed. I use it a lot. In the '70s I paid $45 at Woodward for a good Swedish made axe, so paying a couple of hundred for a good axe is reasonable. The way some people use tools, a Princess Auto one is perfect. For splitting maul, get one with an axe handle, not a round sledge handle.

Forgot to add if your splitting wood try a wedge ! Lee Valley has a good one with a spiral shape to it ,made in France !
    Did I mention to pick up a BK9 . You will LOVE IT !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    And that right there is usually the reason some prefer certain axes over others. Knowing what a sharp axe is and how to get there is the most important factor regardless of who made it.
    Knowing how to sharpening knives and axes properly is the best tool. A good axe file and a stone combined with the proper grease will make anything cut.
    You have hit the nail on the head !
    Arctic Lake

Lee Valley tools sells Gransfors
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke