Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine protection for the truck

Porcupine protection for the truck

I typically see a handful of porcupines every year, end of August I saw more in 48 hours than I have my entire life....heard the stories of chewing on trucks and got to experience a taste of it, no idea how aggressive they are!

making coffee and eating lunch in my truck, glassing a nice view, dog is growling but I can't figure out why, dog eventually loses his shit and tries to get out window, I'm assuming he's caught scent of a bear... big fat ******* porcupine goes running out from under my truck, middle of the afternoon...I just laugh it off and thought it was a cool experience

sleeping under the canopy, just about falling asleep, dog starts growling, tell him to go to bed, then I hear them...crawling under my truck box, can hear scratching noises, it sounded like there was an army of them under my truck, grab my head lamp and jump out the back, an entire family of them takes off in every direction, 5 or 6 of them...figured I scared them so now it's good...30 mins later in my sleeping bag they come back lol

I move spots, 5 km down the road, in the sleeping bag, more frickin porcupines found my truck!!! wtf is going on....again either an entire family of them or perhaps they herd up? porcupine rut in the fall? lol...I abandon my hunting area completely and drive to find somewhere to finally get some sleep...I saw 2 more while driving down the road, end up parking in abandoned well site, right in the middle well away from forests edge....finally get some sleep

I've heard the stories about doing major damage to wires, anything rubber or plastic...I'm a heavy sleeper, if I didn't have the dog they would've chewed the entire night...inspected under the truck in the morning and could only find chew marks on the rubber sleeve on parking brake cable...washing the truck recently I see there is a rubber mud guard between the rad and the bumper, ripped up and big chunks hanging....I assume that was the porcupines but I didn't notice it right away

I've seen the chicken wire wrap method, but unless you seriously anchor the bottom edge, wouldn't they just push their way in? or climb over the wire? and pain in the ass to do every night and morning

I've heard that putting a salt block under your truck will distract them from your truck? cheaper and easier, but is it actually effective?

I've since looked up they are schedule C animal, wasn't sure on my last trip, but won't hesitate next time....little *******s gonna make me walk 80km to the highway lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Porcupine protection for the truck

schedule b no go zone

Sorry got that wrong, schedule b...but if they are chewing my truck is that not legitimate reason to kill them? Protecting my property
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

S S S..will work

We were working in an area with lots of porcupine in it and some body on the crew came up with the idea of scattering a bunch of 6"x 6" plywood blocks around the landing. solved the problem, they seem to like plywood a lot more than rubber hoses and wiring.

Buy a roll of chicken wire and wrap it around your truck with a bunch of rocks and sticks to keep it in place. Porcupines are lazy opportunists, if it's somewhat secure they'll move on to something easier.

Last edited by 708; 09-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

So where are porcupines located? what regions are they bad in?

Shitpiles of them in northern region 3 and south region 7

Interesting...I've never even seen one before. I'm now hoping I don't. What a pain..