Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The curse continues

The curse continues

Well, thus far I have gone on 5 hunts ranging from overnighters to a full on week long hunt and have struck out every time. The latest was a week long hunt which had me on edge the whole time wishing i had an antlerless draw for the princeton area. In a matter of 3 days we saw 50+ does and the only buck we saw was on our way out on private land just in behind the airport, he almost seemed to be laughing at us. From here we thought to try in OK falls area where we had been given a tip and had a chance at whities and mulies. Saw one but had no time to react and then 2 bucks sitting on the lawn of my friends house in town on our last day. Talk about a total piss off. But we did have fun, just wishing i had something to show for it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The curse continues

I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

Keep at it.....its about the journey anyway, not pulling the trigger. Makes you better and makes the end result more rewarding. Cheers
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Where and how your hunting are often the biggest factor

Scouting goes a long ways and just because you hear lots of hunters hunt in an area does not make it good

Due to pressure bucks are always harder to find than does and it's not uncommon to see a lot of does before finding a buck

it can be tough for a new hunter but the more time you spend in the bush the more you will learn. Best advice is slow down and pay attention to the habitat you see deer in most often and where you see the most sign. Each deer species acts different and have proffered habitat

totally normal bud, especially if you are truck hunting (not saying you are)...you gotta get out there and earn it, make it happen! 5 times in 2 years is not enough. you gotta go every chance you can....hour after work, quick morning hunt before the wife wakes up screw sleeping in get your ass out there! If you live in the LML I would imagine it would be hard to go out for an hour here and there, so I would definitely suggest moving as far away from there as possible.

i am fairly green too. got my first mature buck this week. a big old buck. i connected in a super high pressure area by:
    1. going alone, and on foot
    2. slowing down
    3. observing and listening to everything
    4. ...repeating 2 and 3
    5. having patience and glassing, glassing, glassing.

Hunt, don't just hike around hoping for a suicidal animal.
    You'll get one.

You've got to look for fresh sign first and in an area you can hunt. A guy can sit and watch a good looking area with no sign till the cows come home. Hunt for the sign first. Having just moved I'm learning new areas. Have only been able to get out a few times so far but I tell myself I haven't found any good sign yet, not that I got skunked! lol Like said you have to put the time in. Find a good area and learn it.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Where and how your hunting are often the biggest factor

Scouting goes a long ways and just because you hear lots of hunters hunt in an area does not make it good

Due to pressure bucks are always harder to find than does and it's not uncommon to see a lot of does before finding a buck

it can be tough for a new hunter but the more time you spend in the bush the more you will learn. Best advice is slow down and pay attention to the habitat you see deer in most often and where you see the most sign. Each deer species acts different and have proffered habitat
    This.............

Forget about a curse. There is always tomorrow. It will happen.

Yeah buddy don't get down on yourself! Sometimes it can be a rough go but you can't get down on yourself. Tomorrow is another day. You keep putting in the work in areas that show some decent fresh sign I am sure you will connect!