Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Have to buy Tahltan tags next year?

Re: Have to buy Tahltan tags next year?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    I’d say your not real good at math or someone’s feeding you numbers.
    Well fill us in ?
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

So are the CO's working for the FN govt now? Or how is enforcement going to work?
    We already pay for the CO's out of the govt coffers, and we pay for our licences.....now we have to pay even more?
    This is turning into the US model of pay for private fenced land

Bearvalley, serious question. Do you honestly believe they would stick to the 50%? If so then lets have a proper survey done, find out the total allowable harvest and give them 50% of the tags for free. That is all they are allowed. They can fill them however or whenever they choose. But they can never go over or they will be charged. Do you honestly believe they would accept that?

I know quite a few people up there as well and (unless things have changed dramatically for the better in last 2 years since I was up there) they would never stand for it. No doubt the vast majority would stay within that quota, but there are a few that do shoot anything and everything they can. The same as in any group with the difference being the Talhtan will never alliw there members to be charged. They will handle it in house. The problem being those that do such things are already on the outskirts of their society and do not care about the punishment they will recieve.

Give them 50% of the tags and any member who exceeds it will face the same consequences as you or I and almost no hunter would object.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Well fill us in ?
    Buck, I’m not about to waste my time trying to educate a fed puppet that already knows that the allocated percentages under LEH are not true harvest percentages.
    That lie, the battle it instigated and the division it created was our biggest downfall.
    Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Bearvalley, serious question. Do you honestly believe they would stick to the 50%? If so then lets have a proper survey done, find out the total allowable harvest and give them 50% of the tags for free. That is all they are allowed. They can fill them however or whenever they choose. But they can never go over or they will be charged. Do you honestly believe they would accept that?

I know quite a few people up there as well and (unless things have changed dramatically for the better in last 2 years since I was up there) they would never stand for it. No doubt the vast majority would stay within that quota, but there are a few that do shoot anything and everything they can. The same as in any group with the difference being the Talhtan will never alliw there members to be charged. They will handle it in house. The problem being those that do such things are already on the outskirts of their society and do not care about the punishment they will recieve.

Give them 50% of the tags and any member who exceeds it will face the same consequences as you or I and almost no hunter would object.
    Mulehahn, let’s hope this leads to accountability.
    Honest question and points you’ve made.
    The real question is “are the Tahltans harvesting their 50% at present...we don’t know that answer but when it comes it might be surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    So are the CO's working for the FN govt now? Or how is enforcement going to work?
    We already pay for the CO's out of the govt coffers, and we pay for our licences.....now we have to pay even more?
    This is turning into the US model of pay for private fenced land
    The CO’s are working with the wildlife guardians...they don’t seem to have an issue with the concept.

Pemby_mess Guest

The CO’s are working with the wildlife guardians...they don’t seem to have an issue with the concept.
    Again, can't the Nisga'a treaty be used to predict what the arrangement with the Taltan might look like? DFO works with the nisga'a government fisheries management. I was fishing the Nass a few years ago, and had numerous interaction with both DFO and the Nisga'a authorities themselves. It all seemed to fit together fairly flush. I assume the Nisga'a have some sort of similar arrangement between the provincial COs. Anybody have experience hunting in the Nass valley?

Its a fact that clients of outfitters are being issued Tahltan territory hunting licenses as of this year.
    Next year there will be royalties paid.

The Tahltans are stepping up to the plate on managing wildlife within their territory thru wildlife studies/projects, wildlife guardians and a wildlife manager.....it takes money to fund these initiatives.

As for the official word that residents need to buy a Tahltan hunting license .....?????
    I do know the BCWF was working on an MOU between them and the TCG last spring....maybe a phone call to them will clarify as to resident hunters buying these licenses in the future.

The money generated will be going back into wildlife and not just disappear into general revenue as our provincial government does with the license fees and royalties they collect.
    So... it’s not really about numbers....
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Heard some rumours this is coming for anyone hunting in their territory..apparently the outfits already bought them this year? Official word is you wont need to buy them but if you dont to but dont leave your stuff unattended..

Rumors or fact?
    The way I see it is my native fees are collected every year when I pay my taxes. If they want more the can get a flipping job

I haven't read all the posts on this topic but i suspect they are they same as previous years...lots of ranting but zero action. If we want to make a difference then we need to be smarter. Start putting trail cams at your camps and film any blockades. Get the FN folks on camera if they are ransacking camps. The next step is to send the evidence in to major news outlets and start showing the evidence of their "peaceful" actions. Right now mainstream media is eating up this reconciliation BS with no care for what's really happening out there! Otherwise we just sound like a bunch of loose cannons.