Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulie/whitetail cross

Mulie/whitetail cross

My cousin was hunting by 100mile last week and seen what he thinks is a hybrid buck. It had the mulie face with smallish ears and the tail of a whitetail with a black tip. The rack was a 1 by 3. Sorry dont have pics but since he was in region 5 could he of shoot this buck as a whitetail, or is it better that he let it go as for mulies it is 4 point or better?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mulie/whitetail cross

Letting it go was a good call.

Black tip tail, no shooty.

Seen a few of those in the kamloops area. I agree with above. Tail is important since that is what they want to see for evidence of species.

Saw a doe around Clinton that was just the same. Looked at the face and ears and said "whitetail", but it turned and it had the ropey tail. Maybe it was just a regular, small eared mule doe, but it was certainly wierd.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quite common. If you see one and watch It flee they don't bound like a muley or leap like a whitey. They look uncoordinated like a Cariboo.

i shoot me one of them there hybrids many years ago

HMmmm.. Not as weird as a doe with antlers

Had the same issue before. Asked a co and he asked what i think it was... and told me thats what to punch the tag.
    On that note, i’d probably not pull the trigger until i got a really good look.

I have seen a few yearlings and does I am very confident to call hybrids in regions 6/7a. In my opinion it seems to happen in areas with low WT numbers where MD are the dominant species.

My theory is this happens in areas where WT struggle to find their own species to breed with. Just like the final hour at the bar where you fail to pick up what you hoped for the WT are breaking down and settling for whatever is willing lol