Thread: new hunter looking for advice on how to hunt lake cowichan area

new hunter looking for advice on how to hunt lake cowichan area

Hey everybody,young guy here looking to get into hunting. I've been going to butler main area in sooke as well as lake cowichan and have yet to see one buck. Other then the one i saw in town late last night as i was heading home from cowichan #@$!

I've been doing a combination of driving,glassing clear cut(highest elevation around treeline) and walking the timber.

I have been looking but not have seen any bucks and only a few does in sooke and even some elk in cowichan.

I am not shy of hard work and don't expect hunting to be easy, or for any secret spots.. but I would really appreciate some tips, as i feel that i am looking int he wrong areas as i am not finding nay fresh tracks, droppings or anything..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new hunter looking for advice on how to hunt lake cowichan area

Right now you won't see much, only does and maybe a doe's spike son from last year. Hunting the rut nov1-20 maximizes your chances, the bucks will come down to where the does are and they get dumb. First and last light, walk slow and look around.

roger. I'm pretty determined, and have school starting next month which will limit my hunts to the weekends. How would i got about finding a decent buck right now? I'm willing to hike up a mountain if needed haha

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastgrind94 View Post
    roger. I'm pretty determined, and have school starting next month which will limit my hunts to the weekends. How would i got about finding a decent buck right now? I'm willing to hike up a mountain if needed haha
    Blacktails are tough to hunt, you’re gonna need to get into the timber and do a ton of hiking and homework to find out where they are. Still hunting works best, walk slower than a sloth on weed, stop every handful of steps and glass the crap out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Blacktails are tough to hunt, you’re gonna need to get into the timber and do a ton of hiking and homework to find out where they are. Still hunting works best, walk slower than a sloth on weed, stop every handful of steps and glass the crap out of everything.
    This..... oh and make sure you are prepared to deal with rain.

Blacktails are tough. I have about a 5% success rate over the years. Don't fixate on making the kill, just walk around with a gun, enjoy the scenery. You will happen across them.