Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Ridge Area for elk

Tumbler Ridge Area for elk

I used to hunt up there years ago, now I hear oil and gas have changed the landscape quite a bit so just reaching out for some intel (Pm's totally cool), in any case it's really tough to go up there for a scout as it's 12 hrs or so of a drive, so really just curious about:

1- The agricultural zone for antlerless and 3 point, is this really just farmers land? Appears that way on google earth but just curious
    2- How's the elk population generally doing up there, somewhat average, decline or well?
    3- Can anyone recommend a campsite that's hopefully near water and not on the grease! I know asking a lot! My area was done by oil and gas I'm told by a hunting partner years back so thats why I'm asking.

Also could just go down to the upper burnt too by Chetwynd if this doesn't pan out but hoping for some intel? Fingers crossed
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tumbler Ridge Area for elk

Almost 100 views and not one response? Well screw all of those guys when asking for help!!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Not a ton of experience in the area or elk for that matter so give you the little I know

1) there is a reasonable amount of crown land within the agricultural zone

2) I seen elk and had opportunity well hunting them but can’t compare past populations to present from lack of experience. Hunted near Dawson and chetwynd

3) Never really looked but you should find something. Really depends where you go

Not much help but it’s a response.

Population is down somewhere around 50% since they opened the season in the ag zone is what I read somewhere

Yup nothing around, don’t waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Almost 100 views and not one response? Well screw all of those guys when asking for help!!
    I was one of the almost 100. I never ask for help, but can offer you some advice. Do you trust your hunting partner when he says years back that your “area was done in by oil & gas”?

I have spent years of my half life in that area working in gas exploration. The whole area is covered with evidence of people being there. Yet there are still moose, deer and elk living there.

My advise is come up and at least give it a shot. Fuel up at Costco in PG. It’s the cheapest around by 4 cents.

Been hunting for a week north of Dawson Creek from first to last light haven’t seen anything yet.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback, just will go up next year and give it a go.. wasn’t sure mainly where to camp but I guess that’s easy enough to figure out

The back part of the backroad map book is a good place to look for camping spots. If you name off a few potential spots you think might work, people might chime in.

Lots of nice country in the South Puggins area, fresh logging and no shortage of roads
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004