Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk North facing or South facing?

Elk North facing or South facing?

I was wondering if any more experienced hunters out there might be able to give me a little advice. In region 4, would I be better off working South facing or North facing hillsides? I'm sure that there is always exceptions to anything, but if it does make a difference, it would be great to save a bit of time. Also, am I better off looking in really steep, thick, open, glades, draws, etc.? Obviously not looking for any particular areas, just general advice. I'm totally new to this. Thanks in advance for any tips you may be able to offer. I really appreciate it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk North facing or South facing?

Go where the sign is.....tracks, trails, wallows, rubs, fresh crap.

northof49 is correct.

I am a new elk hunter. Started last year and quickly realized how difficult it is. Friend lent me a book to read about elk hunting. One of the writers referred to elk hunting as 'up the mountain, down the mountain'. Pretty much sums it up.

My advice is to learn about the animals first. Once you have an idea of what they like in regards to habitat, then you can google earth some spots that look promising. Next step is as northof49 indicated, get out into the forest and start looking for sign. The amount of hours I've spent running around in the bush and listening to podcasts is quite depressing, but has nearly paid off a few times this year.

Now that I can find them and have a rough idea of what I am saying to them, I need to get experience with set ups and the actual killing part. This has been very frustrating but also very educational.

Lots of failure ahead of you...haha. Hopefully you are younger than I am and have more time to learn through trial and error!

Thanks northof49 and dapesche. I have spent countless hours listening to podcasts, reading anything I can get my hands on and have watched more videos than you can shake a stick at. I spend a lot of time out in the bush, but up until this point, I have never been looking for Elk, specifically. I fully understand that they are elusive and may require more patience than many might have. I would love to find an amazing bull, but I am realistic and know that the chances, especially as a beginner, are incredibly slim. I am going out for six nights, on foot. I'll be well away from where the vast majority of other people will care to walk to. Spending days walking up and down hills is something I love to do. I'm just looking for whatever useful information people may care to share. Maybe this will help me to find the sign, maybe it wont. Either way, it will be a great experience and I'm sure I will gain some knowledge. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

I am new to elk hunting but just spent about a week combined in the bush near Naramata. Talk to locals in the area, as they often have insight. Walk off the trails and if they are there you will find tracks and droppings. Calling is an art and can help with locating or calling in if done right. Wind is the most important aspect as the elk have a great sense of smell. Wallows and rubs are great sign of a bull being in the area. The elk tans to be in the areas that no one wants to go. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks Bubbacanuck! I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I will definitely try a bit of calling. Where I'm off to there are no trails, so shouldn't be a problem there. How did things go for you? Unfortunately, there aren't really any "locals" where I am headed, which is why I am asking on here. One way or another, if nothing else, it will be a good workout.

If you have to choose, south as the weather gets colder, they will winter on south facing slopes which carry less snow, warmer, etc.

But info above is correct, fresh sign is the ticket. Elk need feed, water, and shelter. Slopes to water sources are a good start. In Sept they still might be coming from high country to valley bottom, then back up, as mentioned before, up the hill, down the hill.

From what I've learned, don't invest in one area that looks good to you. If there's no bugle and no obvious sign, keep moving. They are in harems now so when a herd is around, it should be obvious.

Elk are big animals and leave a ton of evidence that they are around. If you aren't finding sign, they aren't there. They can eat upwards of 15-20lbs of feed and need water daily.

Slides are great feeding areas and you will usually find them bedding in adjacent timber. Don't overlook the steep country.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Thanks HighCountry. Do you find that they prefer hillsides that face a particular direction, or does this not matter much?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Thanks Bubbacanuck! I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I will definitely try a bit of calling. Where I'm off to there are no trails, so shouldn't be a problem there. How did things go for you? Unfortunately, there aren't really any "locals" where I am headed, which is why I am asking on here. One way or another, if nothing else, it will be a good workout.
    Within the first 20mins we had a bugle back from about 100yds behind us up a slope, we tried to stalk but he winded us. We had two more bugles in the distance so we moved on but we were not able to locate. When we returned to the original bugle location hours later, he once again responded but unfortunately it was last light and we again unable to close the deal. Tons of droppings, two good wallows with rubs, tracks but no dice. Then another hunter came out with a 6 point from that area a few days later. I think we missed our shot. Lessen learned, if you get a bugle be aggressive and don’t move on until you get eyes on him. Even though we had other bugles we likely missed our shot with the one we heard 20mins in. All in I learned a ton being my first hunting trip ever and look forward to another opportunity.