Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spruce Grouse Vs. Ruffed Grouse Meat

Re: Spruce Grouse Vs. Ruffed Grouse Meat

After reading this thread earlier I got hungry and now 7 grouse have lost their lives all because of this thread

To the op I hope you’re happy it’s all your fault lol

Got 15 sprucies over the weekend, did panko shnitzel with them. Very good! But willow grouse are better eaters, just not as dumb.

I prefer ruffed for sure. Just tastes better to me

Hmm prefer ruffed.
    However Susan does not like to cook grouse, nor bunnies , nor any liver of any moose, deer..so the effort I fear to cook grouse to a tender consistently my not be there.im not sure I even know how to keep grouse meat tender?
    Cheers
    Steven

Even better than grouse is chuckers, those little *******sare delicious.

I prefer ruffed, but I'm good with all grouse meat.

Most of the time I cook with olive oil, but for grouse I like to use grapeseed oil because it's good for high heat.
    I cut the meat into similar sized pieces, and fry up hot and fast. Sometimes with Panko, shake and bake, most of time just salt and pepper.
    Make sure the oil is super hot, add the grouse meat (don't overcook it!), and enjoy some of the best appetizers ever!

I prefer ruffed, but spruce grouse are more accommodating for my son (he’s still learning and not all that quick to get ready) so we still take a few. The spruce normally go in chicken corn chowder or chicken pot pie along with any shot up ruffies. Ruffed in good shape get used anywhere I’d use chicken. Just try not to over cook it or it starts to get dry and chewy.

Ruffed - Willow GROUSE by far Nice white meat Very Mild Flavour somewhat like Pheasant ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Ruffed - Willow GROUSE by far Nice white meat Very Mild Flavour somewhat like Pheasant ! jmo RJ

The good old days when in high school in Kit-Wat area.
    Went hunting alone every Saturday for Ruffed grouse, Pheasant & cottontail rabbit. The pheasants by far were most difficult to shoot but the meat was something to die for when cooked properly. So was the grouse.

The cottontail rabbit was delicious much better and more tender than European hare which was barely edible.

Remember these birds/animals ate nothing but the best from the farmers fields!
    Last edited by mpotzold; 09-25-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fougere View Post
    Which is better (or do you prefer) and why, spruce grouse or ruffed grouse?

Anyone have any recipes for Spruce grouse?
    Spruce Grouse taste awful and should be considered and conserved as survival food.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU