Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt..

My 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt..

First off just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the Forum helping me out from planning this trip to hunting tips and tricks. I’m going to write this story Day by Day so let’s get it started.

Day 1 - Traveling Nightmare.
    Trip Started out on September 13th I got off work nice and early made my way for the Fort McMurray Airport on route to Edmonton – Vancouver then to Prince George where my friends would pick me up and drive to Tatogga Lake. I made it through Security rather smooth as I only had a carry on since my gear was already with my friend in BC. I clear Security and Notice my flight in delayed no Biggy its only 20 min and I have a 3 hr. layover in Edmonton. As the 4th Delay pops up without a word from Air Canada the Plane arrives finally now my layover is only 1 Hr. cutting it close but manageable. The Pilot steps off the plane and tells the lady at the front desk that plane has issues and won’t be leaving today. I immediately start panicking Run upstairs and chat with the lady at the front counter, she says there are no more flight leaving here today my only option would be to drive to Edmonton and catch the 8:30Pm flight to Vancouver. Its 3:45 now in McMurray I way the options and decide I have to go for it as my friends would be waiting for me in Prince George and we still had a 9Hr drive to the Float plane that was booked for 11:00am the next morning. I manage to get the last rental car in the airport and drive to Edmonton with 1 Min to spare as the plane was already boarding. I arrive in Vancouver and once again run into a delayed played flying into Prince George, after waiting an additional 2 hrs. in Van I arrive in Prince George at 1:00am we settle in the truck for a 9Hr drive and arrive at the Tatogga Lake Lodge at 10:00am. With a sigh of relief I cannot believe it worked out that we made it, once arriving to Tatogga lake the weather clouds over and were socked in after chatting with Clayton with alpineLakesair he feels he can get us in flying low and taking the highway.

https://youtu.be/eZs9wvUKDuE

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt..

Day 2 First Climb
    First morning waking up was a chilly -5 with clear skies and sun beaming into our tent. We made up some Oatmeal and made a plan, we were going to hike the mountain directly behind us. We spent several hours on the mountain put on a total of 13Km not one step that was easy going. On our way back to the lake we spotted a Grizzly just a Giant watched it through the spotting scope for almost an Hr then headed down to camp.

Day 3 Alders
    Woke up ready to go I jumped on the spotting scope and started glassing the mountains, I spotted 7 goats roughly 3 Miles away so we decide let’s not take the river up to them as we would be approaching from the bottom rather we would go up the nearest mountain and side hill over to them. Big Mistake our first climb brought us through the thickest Alder/ Pine invested forest ever took us over 2 hrs. just to gain some elevation. Once we got to an elevation we thought was good enough we starting pushing north along the side of the mountains there was a small valley along the side so was pretty good going. We approached a ridge that should have us looking pretty good as we made lunch on the mountains I glass the goats Nannies, and kids with one young Billy with them still well over 1000 Yards away we decide it’s time to head back to camp.

Day 4 Final Approach
    We wake up after a very chilly night must have dipped down to near -10 our gear held up very good all of ours except one, My bud Kev decided to go in with a little less the suitable sleeping bag and he sure paid for it. Monday we were going to have a camp day and rest up for a Planned Spike Camp for a couple days. As we were muddling about in camp Kevin was glassing the nearby mountain across the lake and he says GOAT I found a loan Goat across the lake. We instantly switch into hunt mode I start packing my bag and we make a plan. We had found an old 12ft Lund boat that hadn’t been touched in years so we bailed into the boat and went along the shore to the other side of the lake. As we start heading up the drainage keeping out of site of the goat ranging the distance its 1800Yards away with a tough climb ahead. As were watching the goat running out of options of where to go it decides to go for a walk so we have an opportunity to head up the chute it was so carefully watching. The climb is intense hardest thing I’ve ever attempted put my range finder up and see were cruising a 40Degree incline. As we start approaching a point where we should be able to see the goat it starts snowing very strong. I finally peak over a ridge and see the goat walking back to where it was perched, My friend Jeff ranges the goat 266 Yards 26 degree angle to the goat I’m watching it in my scope and wait for the got to stop as its quickly approaching a large gorge in the mountain side I fire a single round perfect hit goat rears back and starts ROLLING down the Gorge I didn’t want it too. We can’t see the goat anymore but know it’s dead. With some major cheers and high fives we start climbing up to the location it was then down into the steep gorge. I can see it took a heck a tumble as I approach the goat fearful of the inevitable I turn its head and sure enough one horn completely missing the second snapped off. Feeling very discouraged I roll the Goat over and It’s a NANNY I cannot believe I shot a nanny the side profile of the goat looked great curved straight back all alone not another goat in the area at all. I start capping the goat out and get it all quartered up and look at the time there is no way we could get it all down in one shot as we had to climb up out of the very poor spot then down the mountain. So we decide we will come back for the rest in the am. We start heading down the mountain and arrive back at camp at 10:00pm exhausted from the days adventures but excited to harvest my first Goat even though it was a Nanny it was a Dry Nanny.

Day 5 Retrieval
    This morning with one goal in mind two of us would head back up the mountain to retrieve the remaining meat and Hide. Once complete the nasty climb and retrieval we make are way back to camp. I work on getting the meat cleaned up and packed in game bags. We locate a tree roughly 80 yards from camp on a nice shaded tree that has a great Y in it easily able to get a rope up into it. I’m able to climb the tree and get the meat hanging roughly 17ft off the ground should be plenty for any grizzlies. After a tough day we relax have a good feed of Goat Back straps well deserved after a hard couple days of Hiking.

Day 6 Spike Camp
    With our meat secure we decide were going to head North towards were we located the goats a couple days prior this time we would take the river towards then then summit the mountain with a Full Spike camp so we would have lots of time and not have to rush back. We fight the Tall alders head up the slippery creak but manage to reach the valley below where wanted to climb. As we start climbing I glass ahead and notice a loan Goat on the mountain ahead. Pretty excited we make the touch 1500ft climb into a nice hidden bowl. We decide this is where were going to spike and drop all our gear. As we reach the ridge with the goat should now be below us we look over and sure enough we hit it perfect 180Yards to the loan goat below us. We Pretty excited to be so close with lots of time in the day we all get our Bino’s and Spotting scopes out starting to look this goat over right away my first impression was Nanny but has potential after looking over the goat for an Hr we all decide it’s a Nanny and just enjoy watching her do her own things without a care in her mind. We head back to our spike camp and settle in for a cold night ahead.

Day 7 Bears
    Day 7 had us waking up with a gorgeous Sunrise on top the mountain side. We have a quick breakfast and start glassing the slopes, still in search of a Billy we looked high and low without any luck of finding a billy we head back to where the loan goat was the day prior as we appear over the ridge there she is all alone still less then 80Yards away. We decide lets head back to camp and starting packing up as were heading down we glass a gorgeous sow and cubs playing in the valley below not a care in the world. As we make it back to the lake following the shore line home I spot a fresh Grizzly track and cubs instantly my guts drop MY MEAT!! We move towards camp everything looks goods but there it is my meat is all gone except one small bag of my skull and rear hide. I’m absolutely devastated all the hard work we did was wasted. I head over to the meat pole and notice 2 quarters of meat lying on the ground and in great shape I pick them up and retrieve what’s left of hide and Skull. As were sitting in camp cleaning up the meat and resting our feet we get a visitor Momma Bear is back to retrieve what she left behind. We quickly scramble for our guns she heads back up the tree to see what she had left we fire a warning shot the scare them off. With little care in the world they scatter back up the hill for a short period of time. We decide we better tie up some scraps and draw the attention away from us, so I climb back up the tree and hang some more meat and also a trail cam on the adjacent tree for some great shots of the sow. Let’s just say it was a long night with the Bears coming back to eat and us trying to keep them at bay.

Day 8 Home time
    After a very sleepless night we hear tin cans rattling in tree, we can hear she’s back once again one last time we push them back up in the hill and finally the last time we see the Trio. Our float plane arrives at 10:30am just as planned and takes us back to Tatogga Lake and we start the 24hrs journey home. As were heading home were trying to get our inspection done on my goat with no luck in Smithers as we would have to wait till the next day we decide Jeff would take it with him to Chilliwack he was able to get it inspected on his way home. It was a relief to hear my goat was aged at 8 1/2Years old well beyond her breeding life which was a big relief for me.

Thanks for following along with my adventure have a look at the slide show I made below.

https://youtu.be/tu9dOOyVMB0

Hmm very very very well done congrads on the successful adventure and harvest.
    Cant remember photos of mom grizz and cubs in action stealing meat..brave guys !
    Very beautiful country..as well as exellent photos and video.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Wow! That sounds like quite the adventure. Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

Yep and don’t worry too much about the nanny, most guys get fooled at least once. It ain’t that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Yep and don’t worry too much about the nanny, most guys get fooled at least once. It ain’t that easy.
    Thanks Pal glad to get it done that’s forsure but I was definitely upset when I knew my cape was gone sure hope I can find a new one from someone.

Excellent story and great slide show. thanks for sharing

https://youtu.be/4LOmlakdjvU

here is a quick preview video I had made before the big slide show turned out pretty good

Great read. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the grizz issues.

Your slideshow was very well put together and a very good watch! Nicely done!

What would you have done differently if you could go back and do the trip all over again? What lessons have you learned?

Great production, thanks for putting it all together and sharing with us.