Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt..

Re: My 2018 Mountain Goat Hunt..

Looks awesome can't wait for the feature - thanks!
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

That was great. Nothing like having a grizz hanging around camp.
    Enjoyed your story and pics.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Great read. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the grizz issues.

Your slideshow was very well put together and a very good watch! Nicely done!

What would you have done differently if you could go back and do the trip all over again? What lessons have you learned?
    Our Base camp really killed us having to go back down the mountain every day really sucked I would have much preferred to get up high and stay there it only lefts us a few hours after climbing back up to elevation every day then having to leave early to make it back to camp before it was to dark. The day we did Spike was great stayed on top the mountain till dark then made camp woke up on the mountain and started glassing at sunrise.

Glad to see you made it out safe!! Congrats on your first goat!! I remember my first goat hunting alone, it was a nanny, I nearly threw my rifle off the mountain, I didn’t hunt for years after that, it was a tough pill to swallow. I come to realize tho, everyone makes mistakes, and we learn from them. Regardless, it’s a legal harvest, and some excellent table fare!! Thank you for taking the time to share!!

My tag is burning a hole in my pocket, c’mon winter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Our Base camp really killed us having to go back down the mountain every day really sucked I would have much preferred to get up high and stay there it only lefts us a few hours after climbing back up to elevation every day then having to leave early to make it back to camp before it was to dark. The day we did Spike was great stayed on top the mountain till dark then made camp woke up on the mountain and started glassing at sunrise.
    X2 I have come to realize this the hard way for alpine mulies as well. Better to have a lighter camp on your back than a comfy camp that's far away every night.

We still leave some stuff behind, like extra food and/or clothes based on the conditions, but I'm NEVER leaving basecamp again without at least food for 2 days, a tarp, sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

Good writeup and slideshow, congrats on a hard earned goat....sorry to hear about your g bear stolen part of your cape and meat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    I really enjoy camping right in my hunting area. I try to tuck my tent away but it is always very close. I have had so many cool experiences with this plus I am in perfect position in the morning and could hunt till dark no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Glad to see you made it out safe!! Congrats on your first goat!! I remember my first goat hunting alone, it was a nanny, I nearly threw my rifle off the mountain, I didn’t hunt for years after that, it was a tough pill to swallow. I come to realize tho, everyone makes mistakes, and we learn from them. Regardless, it’s a legal harvest, and some excellent table fare!! Thank you for taking the time to share!!

My tag is burning a hole in my pocket, c’mon winter!!
    Same deal for me. My first goat was also a nanny, and left a bitter taste. It also inspired me to educate myself further and as a result my next 2 goats both ended up scoring over 50". If your budget allows for it, I'm sure you'll be able to get another permit to accompany in the coming years. Study up and you should be able to harvest a quality billy pretty easily. Maybe look into a different area, as I would have expected you guys to see more goats than you alluded to. Flying out of Tattoga has many options, but there are also many quality goat spots hiking in off hwy 37.

These are exactly the kind of posts that keep us coming back.
    Great experience, Great effort, lessons learned, success achieved and plenty of reason to feel proud.
    Thank you for sharing.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Hunter View Post
    Same deal for me. My first goat was also a nanny, and left a bitter taste. It also inspired me to educate myself further and as a result my next 2 goats both ended up scoring over 50". If your budget allows for it, I'm sure you'll be able to get another permit to accompany in the coming years. Study up and you should be able to harvest a quality billy pretty easily. Maybe look into a different area, as I would have expected you guys to see more goats than you alluded to. Flying out of Tattoga has many options, but there are also many quality goat spots hiking in off hwy 37.
    Yep! Glassed some good ones right off the pavement. It’s actually a great place to do day hunts and have a base camp.