Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck vs Doe meat

Buck vs Doe meat

I am the lucky recipient of a doe draw. I was wondering, if I am lucky enough to harvest a buck and a doe would you butcher them differently? Example, more steaks from the doe and less ground, no roasts, or more saugages? Is there a difference in taste? We'll be leaving Sept 30th for a week. Thanks to all that take the time to comment.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buck vs Doe meat

Sept 30 is still early so I would say that age, not sex, of deer will determine taste. Later in the season, the rut will affect meat flavor in bucks.

I would say that any 1-3 yr old buck or doe will be good eatin. Good luck!

Back in the 60's, 70's one could shoot bucks or does till x-mas. The does always tasted better & were in general more tender.
    One year at the Cache Creek reporting station the 2 bucks were so small that the game warden called them fawns! The meat was something to die for!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I try and take a WT doe every year. I usually make steaks and roasts from these kills.. like said above you won’t notice a taste diff until November. Last year my mule buck was shot oct 21 and tasted no diff then my WT doe shot the week before. Maybe the doe was slightly more tender.

Good luck!

The thing about deer meat that I have noticed over the years, is, knowing how to cook deer meat makes it better.
    Old bucks can make good pepperoni and grind into burger
    - young bucks are good also for the table but how it's cooked is important with deer meat
    Doe can be worse than bucks if older and had lots of fawns. Like an old human at 70 years old etc.--
    -- fawns are like a veal
    young deer from fawn to 4 years old woody be good -- deer live about 12 years if not killed b4 that so compare the ages.
    Jel -- > The secret with deer meat being good on the table? Know how, to prepare deer meat when cooking it is thee important part too.

I havent had MD doe, but WT doe: is DOE-LICIOUS !
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Mule deer draw? Check your regional bag limit as the option to get a buck and die may have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by buck dog View Post
    I am the lucky recipient of a doe draw. I was wondering, if I am lucky enough to harvest a buck and a doe would you butcher them differently? Example, more steaks from the doe and less ground, no roasts, or more saugages? Is there a difference in taste? We'll be leaving Sept 30th for a week. Thanks to all that take the time to comment.

Doe/Cow are better eating.
    its prevalent in Beef industry, we only eat cows.
    Its not often we get an opportunity for a doe, cow Elk or cow Moose, arguably not the finest representation of a trophy, but extremely fine table fare.
    Female calf elk would be amongst my fav meat.
    doe Whitetail is another
    enjoy
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Which region are you hunting. Many regions only allow for one mule deer regardless of the sex. Unless you mean a white tail buck and a mule doe .

^^^^^^
    heres the HBC police again.

He was asking quality of meat. Not legality.