Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gator success

Gator success

Well the wife and I wrapped up our Florida vacation/gator hunt/fishing trip with some cranker gators.

We had a blast fishing the Bay for a couple days landing 7 types of different fish including JUlie landing a black tupped reef shark.

We ended up with 2 twelve foot gators in one night and then a 10 foot and a 9' 4 the next night.

It is quite a deal to see those giant gators break the surface for the first time. I would reccommend doing this trip at some point, affordable and a lot of fun.

light tackle black tip shark.

I am more then happy to give out any information that may help you do this hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gator success

Do they sell the gator meat?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Did you keep the shark? It's certainly dead after being picked up by the gills like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Did you keep the shark? It's certainly dead after being picked up by the gills like that.
    I don't think they released those gators either. This is why people don't post as much, always a critic. It is clearly dead, can't our first assumption be it was legally kept.

Congrats, looks like a fun trip.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    sure did. Awesome tasting a lot like spearfish.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Do they sell the gator meat?
    We kept some but traded the rest of the meat for skinning and salting the hides.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I don't think they released those gators either. This is why people don't post as much, always a critic. It is clearly dead, can't our first assumption be it was legally kept.

Congrats, looks like a fun trip.
    That about some it up about critics. YOu just don't go around picking up live sharks at all. That 4 foot black tip thrashed hard enough the captain would't even go near it to club it.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    We kept some but traded the rest of the meat for skinning and salting the hides.
    Very cool! I’ve heard it’s excellent. I’ve never been on a hunting trip far away from home, but marlin fishing the captain kept the fish. Thought it might be similar.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Looks like a great holiday family vacation option. Thanks for sharing.
    i really must research
    Did you have recommendations as to where to begin?
    South Florida?
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Didn't think shark meat was edible! Congrats on the gators, we were talking at my son's soccer game this morning and one of the families ate gator meat in Mexico and loved it. Battered and fried like fish and chips.