Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's you most and least favourite meat for eating

Re: What's you most and least favourite meat for eating

deer tag soup

Fresh caribou meat in August or early September is my favorite. Melt a piece of the fat in a cast iron pan & fry up some backstrap steaks medium rare with a bit of salt & pepper. A cold beer to go along doesn't hurt either.

Top of the list for me is stone ram
    bottom is November Mulie buck...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I like it all except caribou... that is nasty stuff. I've tried it maybe a dozen times and it has always been so bad that sometimes I can't even swallow it, just terrible stuff. Alligator, toads, grizzly, snails, ants, grubs, and dew worms are great table fare compared to bou!

The worst however was rotting sea lion belly that those crazy Inuit think is a delicacy. They wrap it in cloth and bury it under a stone cairn for about six months.
    I managed to swallow one bite to the great amusement of the locals... man I had some great trips up in the NWT. Good memories, except for the sea lion belly and all that terrible caribou.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

My least favorite meat is Carrion...

Especially when I have to push a Grizz off his pile cause I'm starving..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I have eaten and liked most meats but caribou and mule deer have to be the poorest in general, they get worse as they spend time in the freezer. Won't eat bear at all, saw how wormy one can be when I was a kid and I've never forgot the sight.

For consistant, good eating I prefer my beef, lamb and pork, that saves more game for you guys.

I have been asked many times what caribou was like for an eating experience.... My description is to take an average cut of beef, leave on the counter for three or four days, then marinate in urine overnight and fry. I ate one roast of caribou I liked. Never could get past the smell of several others I've been offered.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I have eaten and liked most meats but caribou and mule deer have to be the poorest in general, they get worse as they spend time in the freezer. Won't eat bear at all, saw how wormy one can be when I was a kid and I've never forgot the sight.

For consistant, good eating I prefer my beef, lamb and pork, that saves more game for you guys.

I have been asked many times what caribou was like for an eating experience.... My description is to take an average cut of beef, leave on the counter for three or four days, then marinate in urine overnight and fry. I ate one roast of caribou I liked. Never could get past the smell of several others I've been offered.
    So you are joking , or, why are you even on here?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

BEST - I have been fortunate to harvest some nice young whitetail over the past few years. Try to intercept them between their day bedding and the alfalfa fields they feed in during the evening. Pretty much the only red meat we eat! Smoked and BBQed a backstrap last week and it was enjoyed by all, a few who had never eaten game meat before.

WORST - Have had some nasty Billy Goat and some tough hare but the worst by far was a bottom feeding lake carp we tried frying up when I was a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post

WOW! You serious?

I'm no expert, but a mulie in velvet isn't too bad along with an early season caribou. I've had both from later in season however, and that smell and taste is NFG.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..