Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Base layer and boots

Re: Base layer and boots

I'm running Icebreaker merino for my base layer, and I really like it. It's a lot better than the Costco merino, which has something like 10% actual merino. You can often get it at a dramatically reduced price at Last Hunt.

Boots are really personal, and what's right for one is wrong for the other, but for what it's worth, I've had good luck with boots from Columbia: I have trail runners that I really like for covering ground in the early season, my main hikers are the Daska Pass III which are lightweight, waterproof and have a Vibram sole, and for late season / moose hunting from a stand I have Bugaboots, which are serviceable in the snow, and warm in the tree stand.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Pemby_mess Guest

I used to be a fan of heavier leather style hiking boots, but unless you take care of them really well, their durability as their primary advantage isn't any superior to lighter runner style hikers like the salomons - so good advice to look at those. I have a couple pairs of salewas that I really love. Comfortable last, lightweight, durable, full featured mountain boots with semi-auto crampon capability. Look into the "Mtn trainers". Only disadvantage to them is you have to know your feet really well, as I doubt anybody carries them locally.

Costco for merino base layers is good advice. I picked up about 10 "made in Canada" 100 percent merino LS shirts for about 10 bucks each. Wearing one now. Truly unbeatable value with better workmanship than more overpriced options out there. Their 70% merino sock 4 packs are great as well - all I wear.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post
    I'm running Icebreaker merino for my base layer, and I really like it. It's a lot better than the Costco merino, which has something like 10% actual merino. You can often get it at a dramatically reduced price at Last Hunt.

Boots are really personal, and what's right for one is wrong for the other, but for what it's worth, I've had good luck with boots from Columbia: I have trail runners that I really like for covering ground in the early season, my main hikers are the Daska Pass III which are lightweight, waterproof and have a Vibram sole, and for late season / moose hunting from a stand I have Bugaboots, which are serviceable in the snow, and warm in the tree stand.
    There's two types of merino Costco carries. I think the low percentage stuff you reference is called "paradox" brand. They also carry "Kirkland brand" 100 percent merino wool shirts; only at some stores this time of year. All my ice breaker stuff has holes in it, so I now shun them. I've never had a pair of 50 dollar icebreaker undies or socks make it through a single ski season intact. The Costco stuff is durable and cheap. Throws a wrench into "getting what you pay for" imho.

Check out Merrell for boots.
    A "T" shirt, a Stanfield and a good jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I used to be a fan of heavier leather style hiking boots, but unless you take care of them really well, their durability as their primary advantage isn't any superior to lighter runner style hikers like the salomons - so good advice to look at those. I have a couple pairs of salewas that I really love. Comfortable last, lightweight, durable, full featured mountain boots with semi-auto crampon capability. Look into the "Mtn trainers". Only disadvantage to them is you have to know your feet really well, as I doubt anybody carries them locally.

Costco for merino base layers is good advice. I picked up about 10 "made in Canada" 100 percent merino LS shirts for about 10 bucks each. Wearing one now. Truly unbeatable value with better workmanship than more overpriced options out there. Their 70% merino sock 4 packs are great as well - all I wear.
    There's two types of merino Costco carries. I think the low percentage stuff you reference is called "paradox" brand. They also carry "Kirkland brand" 100 percent merino wool shirts; only at some stores this time of year. All my ice breaker stuff has holes in it, so I now shun them. I've never had a pair of 50 dollar icebreaker undies or socks make it through a single ski season intact. The Costco stuff is durable and cheap. Throws a wrench into "getting what you pay for" imho.
    Great advice. The Costco shirts do wear through...I have several with holes that I've just turned into sleep shirts, but man, they're good value. The Last Hunt also can be great value for stuff that's a bit higher end (higher thickness, additional features like hoods or half zips, etc). But the Costco stuff is flat out best value.

GOOD,all leather boots, IME, will outlast ANY "light" boots and the initial higher cost is amortized over the longer lifespan.

I like Hanwag "Yukons" with leather lining and use ONLY Obenauf's to treat them. I also like leather Scarpa boots very much.

Yikes, really?

I have a pair of Solomon $300 quests that are now worn out..

They are fine for light-medium loads in shoulder conditions. That's it!

They do not have the support or weather resistance of leather, period.

I run Scarpa sl actives and maintain them big time with mink oil in the solid form, that's crucial..

They are good to -15c, after that you need to spend money on something else..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Wool stuff. Icebreaker is what most shops around here carry. the uppers last a few seasons and I will wear out a pair of lowers a season generally. if its gonna be real chilly? Stanfield makes a great one piece! Marks will bring them in right quick if they don't stock already.
    Eat your dessert first.

Something lasting longer does not necessarily make it better. Sometimes, a less durable but more efficient product may better help you achieve your goals. (E.g. easier and faster to get around in a lighter boot)

I wear boots 365 days per annum, due to major orthopaedic issues and have for my entire life since 14. I do have light ones, on my feet right now, but these do not compare with my leather hikers in any mountain country and especially under a loaded pack.

Getting "around", IMO, in bush terms, means avoiding ankle sprains, fractures and falls due to a lack of support when traversing a screefield or steep, grassy ridge when frozen.