Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Base layer and boots

Base layer and boots

I'm in the need of a pair of good hu ting boots. Nothing too expensive 200 dollar mark, as well as I need a good base layer. I checked Cabelas in Nanaimo but didnt carry any base layer clothing.
    Any recommendations as to wear I can go or order a base layer ( long John's ). I dont need anything too warm as I will be hunting on the Island.
    Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Base layer and boots

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    I'm in the need of a pair of good hu ting boots. Nothing too expensive 200 dollar mark, as well as I need a good base layer. I checked Cabelas in Nanaimo but didnt carry any base layer clothing.
    Any recommendations as to wear I can go or order a base layer ( long John's ). I dont need anything too warm as I will be hunting on the Island.
    Thank you!
    I would say your best bet as far as the base layer goes is to hit up Costco and the Merino whool line of base layer they carry. Sorry. The name escapes me presently. As far as a good boot goes for $200... the only thing I can think of is Salmon. They have some pretty decent high top boots. Now it’s not a “hunting” boot in that your going to have a 10” boot. They have will be a bit over $200 though. Well worth it in my opinion. I’ve personslly had a few pairs of Salomon boots.
    Good luck.

Thanks Chris. I never thought about checking Costco. I also thought about checking out Marks work wearhouse.
    I'll checkout the Salmon boots.

I'm shifting away from the heavier boots for most day-to-day hunting and going with more "lightweight" hiker styles - Salomon X-Ultras are pretty solid, but also really comfortable. Only thing I'm not sure about is standing up to a heavy load if having to pack out far.

And Costco is definitely a really good place to grab some baselayers - especially if they have their merino long sleeve shirts in stock (as opposed to the merino blend base layer from...Paradox...?... that they normally sell)

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I'm shifting away from the heavier boots for most day-to-day hunting and going with more "lightweight" hiker styles - Salomon X-Ultras are pretty solid, but also really comfortable. Only thing I'm not sure about is standing up to a heavy load if having to pack out far.
    I like the idea of having a lightweight style hiking boot. AgSilver how did you find the boots for being water proof? Nothing worse than having cold wet feet.

Thanks Chris. I never thought about checking Costco. I also thought about checking out Marks work wearhouse.
    I'll checkout the Salmon boots.
    If you do go to costco make sure you read the label to see how much merino wool is in the product, some stuff they stock has very little merino wool in the product
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Highly recommend https://www.taigaworks.ca/Merino-Wool-c121

Cheap and durable stuff. A whole layering system cost me under 400$, merino t-shirt, merino long sleeve, merino zip pull over, fleece jacket, merino sweat pants. Cant go wrong for the price and quality.
    Good Old Outdoors "I was so puckered up down betweenst my butt cheeks I could have made a world class diamond that Beyonce herself couldn't even handle."

I like the idea of having a lightweight style hiking boot. AgSilver how did you find the boots for being water proof? Nothing worse than having cold wet feet.
    So far so good. They do start to leak after awhile if you don't keep them clean because the dirt interferes with the membrane (or so I've read). I'm going to toss one pair in the washer to see if they end up improving in that regard.

VPO will have boots, too - more hiking oriented, and I don't know what the difference would be to a hunting boot. I have the leather Hanwag and love them (not a gortex fan). Boots are worth spending money on, imo. Save money in other areas.