Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Re: Stuck in the mud, now what?

And people love to say how a bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work

.... yeah.... until any of the above happens ^^^^^^

Every truck in our hunt group has at least one winch. Mine is 16 Tacoma with locker, with a 9500 Smitty, hidden mount up front and I also carry a 8000 Warn with hitch mount as a just in case for sideways or backwards. Also good Jewelry if needed. With pulley blocks and Snatch and Tug straps there is not much we can't get out of. Usually pulling an 8 wheel Argo when heading in. With 49 years of offroad Wheeling experience, it has taught me to be reasonably prepared. Heading up N West of PG on the 27th, hoping to fill a couple tags.

So, I called a towing company in Williams Lake and they informed me that none of the companies there have 4X4's and basically you are on your own. I guess if you live in that area, you might have buddies you can call, but for someone from another BC location, you are shit out of luck. Looks like a come along should be added to the equipment list. If you are unsuccessful in retrieving your vehicle, I guess you just hope other hunters come by, or maybe loggers working in the area. I'll be watching the forecast closely. Thanks everyone for your replies so far. (RJHunter that's quite the photo; glad you had a tow company in your area that was willing to take up the challenge)

join the local FB groups, hunting groups, offroad groups, etc...I've helped pull somebody out that way, usually lots of helpful folks, but only works within cell range
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If you are going alone you really need to be prepared. Inreach is invaluable.
    If you dont have winches, at least the equipment to improvise.

I highlift jack can be used as a winch. Cable come alongs generally suck. A chain come along would do. A shovel and a pick so you can burry an anchor.. ie spare tire, logs etc.

The old 2x4 strapped on the tire with ratchet straps has gotten more than a few out of a jam.

ive even got a spool that bolts onto the wheel lug nuts with cable to use as a winch.

If using a chain come along or chain with highlift, or even cables, make sure to have items like short pieces of chain with grab hooks or one of those cable grip/grabs so you can release tension to choke up without releasing the load.

i know some guys carry those maxtracks or tree boards.. imo you need 8 of them so you can leap frog.

Good tries chains are a hell hell of a thing in mud. I have 38" super swamper mud tires on my trucks and I still chain up in mud sometimes because it's incredible. They excel in greasy clay where the tires pack up and you are stuck in as little as 2" of grease on a firm base.

Dont forget simple tree bows. Don't use sticks or logs. They make things worse. But pine boughs and the like are amazing in mud and snow. Lay them down good and thick, they will support you through soft stuff you never would have thought possible.

My truck has an old Warn 8274 with a wireless remote. Holds 150 feet of cable and I carry a nylon strap, snatch blocks plus a Jackall jack and v-bar chains.
    Even with just a decent rope and some logs you can make a flip-flop winch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDGGht3CQU

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The old tractor trick .... have you actually done it? I'm curious if your average ratchet straps would hold ... even if you used like 5 of them.

I have a locking rear diff so doing it on only one wheel would work but all the other examples of this I've seen have used a chain to secure.

But if you got the clearance, which most trucks should on the rear, and as long as you dont cut the 2x4 excessively long it SHOULD work for a short distance to get out.
    Never tried it but seen it on YouTube.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Being a BCAA member is important.

Been towed 2x to WL.

Once from Black Dome mt(near Empire). The tranny went,
    Second time from Ward Creek(near Gang) The starter went.

In both cases got towed in short time after contacting BCAA.

Always have a Garmin GPS so could give the tow co. the exact coordinates.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Many will say get a winch, I dont disagree. But what I was thinking is getting a long line of decent rope, and a few snatch blocks. get the ratio up as much as possible (9:1 etc) and a come-along. Regardless of cost, I was thinking I wouldnt have to worry about maintenance on a winch, the worry about about the winch failing, battery dying etc. I could do it myself, and this set up may also come in handy recovering critters.
    Just a thought, good luck for whatever you choose!
    Careful with going to high on your ratios. If you don't have good sheaves the added friction can defeat the benefit of going above around 6:1 or so. And make sure you have a lot of rope cause if your anchor is 30m away you would need close to 200m in length to make that work.

If you do some research on rope rescue you can learn some tricks to get away with less line if you can use good rope and prussic knots.

Minimum equipment I think is a good shovel, heavy rope of a good quality or wire rope, chain or bow saw, come a long, shackles, a few slings, 100' how strap, pulleys, Jack, tire chains, tire patch kit, spare, compressor, and remember ;

If you get stuck or start to get stuck do not panic and make it wore, take a few deep breaths and think it through

That synthetic winch line is the cat's ass. Wire rope is a thing of the past. No more
    worry about linking or spollinnit up perfectly. Super light and flexible. I have 100ft length, weighs maybe 2lbs, rated at 20,000lbs working load, fits in a shoe box.