Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Re: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Ratchet strap a 2x4 to your wheels
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Ratchet strap a 2x4 to your wheels
    The old tractor trick .... have you actually done it? I'm curious if your average ratchet straps would hold ... even if you used like 5 of them.

I have a locking rear diff so doing it on only one wheel would work but all the other examples of this I've seen have used a chain to secure.

But if you got the clearance, which most trucks should on the rear, and as long as you dont cut the 2x4 excessively long it SHOULD work for a short distance to get out.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

For those of you thinking of using something like a come-a-long...keep in mind that
    every time you double the pull with a block you're cutting the pulling distance in half.
    Most come-a-longs have a max of 10- 12 ft, so one block cuts it realistically to 5-6 ft
    or less depending on the amount of slack in your lines, two blocks down to 2-2 1/2 ft.
    And then you have to consider being able to anchor your vehicle before re-setting your
    pulling system. Any movement when releasing your anchor will amount to increased
    slack so your actual pulling distance will be even less.
    Last edited by Big Lew; 09-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Wagonmaster...

If its that greasy i doubt a tow truck would get to you.. usually they are duallies with highway or moderate bush tires
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I have used chains as much to get out of mud as snow
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Closest is 150 mile towing..most likely will be BJS towing in williams lake.that road is not that bad. But NOT travelled often.
    Srupp

I slid off the road in the middle of nowhere once due to mud. Not walking easy down the road in those conditions. Sat phone, chained up tow truck, a few hours and $1500 later I was out. The tow truck had extra chains and we chained up my truck for drive out. Not easy to tow someone out when they slide off the road since there is no traction for pulling, winches and block / tackle to pull perpendicular to the road depending how bad you are in. Chains would have kept me out of the ditch for sure. Have a buddy ready to help or sometimes best to stay off the roads if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonmaster View Post
    Logging roads in many areas of BC become slick surfaces of gumbo, worse than snow after any significant rain. If you slide off the road and are basically stranded, what are your options other than trying to walk out which may be unwise if you are miles from civilization. Another hunter or logging truck could come along, but that might not happen. I have an InReach, so was thinking it would be clever to obtain the contact number of the closest towing company and, assuming they had a mobile number, text them with your location and circumstances. Alternatively, you could text a family member or friend who could phone the company, but in each case it would be useful to know who to call. I will be hunting somewhere between Tyee Lake and Big Lake in early October. Anyone have a suggestion as to who to contact should such a scenario occur?
    Reminds me of the Empire/Gang side roads becoming extremely & dangerously slick when wet -some even after a day's rainfall. Like a skating rink.By far the worst in the country!

Always carry chains & put them on all wheels if things get slippery.

I also have a come-along but never had to use it for the truck(except for moose)
    Also carry some strong tow rope. Have pulled people when stuck over the years using it.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The old tractor trick .... have you actually done it? I'm curious if your average ratchet straps would hold ... even if you used like 5 of them.
    I've done this using 2-3" diameter sticks and rope, and a second time using 2x4 I had precut in the truck and ratchet straps....both times it got me out, square edge on the 2x4 obviously has more bite but the sticks also worked surprisingly well, good enough to get me back on the trail.....they actually make rubber blocks with straps designed for this purpose....but eventually I bought vbar chains to fit 35's, worth every penny

Edit - forgot to mention I destroyed the ratchet straps in one use, bent to shit, cut them off...I suppose that would depend what terrain you're stuck in
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If you have a good point on the front and back of your truck you can use a jackal to lift your truck as high as the jack will go then push the jack over, front, back, front, back and repeat. It takes a long time but we have gotten a truck out of the ditch and turned right around on a narrow road. If your off the side of the mountain... better hope there is a bigger truck than yours around that day.