Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Re: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Tire chains were required equipment in the Peace River gumbo when I timber cruised in that area. Worked great.

A Jackall, a shovel, a saw of some kind, as much strong rope as you can carry. They are all your friends.

Lots of good advice on here fyi....

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've pulled more people out of problems then I can remember over the 54 years in the outback.
    One of the most frustrating things some of them do, or try to do when they have slid off the road at a steep angle
    is to help by putting power to the wheels. The other is to turn, especially the wrong way. Both usually make
    matters worse. If the pulling equipment is successfully extracting the vehicle, let the wheels roll without power
    so that they don't break the surface any more than can be helped or the vehicle will just keep sliding downhill
    rather than climb up and out.

I second being a bcaa member...called them once getting stuck on FSR, they wouldn’t come because off pavement but they did have a contact of a private contractor in the area and he came and pulled me out

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Being a BCAA member is important.

Been towed 2x to WL.

Once from Black Dome mt(near Empire). The tranny went,
    Second time from Ward Creek(near Gang) The starter went.

In both cases got towed in short time after contacting BCAA.

Always have a Garmin GPS so could give the tow co. the exact coordinates.

Thats really good info, thanks MDC2! Never would have thought about the added friction making things worse, not better. As for the length of rope, all I was really getting at is, even if you only move 30m with 200m of rope, you could atleast do it with minimal effort, and without having to invest the money into a 9-12K lb winch for a diesel truck. Dragging out a 6-7,000lb truck from a ditch with one or 2 people could be tricky. Just trying to think of a simple way to achieve this without either dropping a bunch of money, or calling in a tow from who-knows-where.
    Thanks for the reply, Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Careful with going to high on your ratios. If you don't have good sheaves the added friction can defeat the benefit of going above around 6:1 or so. And make sure you have a lot of rope cause if your anchor is 30m away you would need close to 200m in length to make that work.

If you do some research on rope rescue you can learn some tricks to get away with less line if you can use good rope and prussic knots.

Minimum equipment I think is a good shovel, heavy rope of a good quality or wire rope, chain or bow saw, come a long, shackles, a few slings, 100' how strap, pulleys, Jack, tire chains, tire patch kit, spare, compressor, and remember ;

If you get stuck or start to get stuck do not panic and make it wore, take a few deep breaths and think it through

Thanks!
    I've come to realize not getting stuck in the first place is the easiest way, but it sure is a good feeling to get yourself unstuck if you don't do any serious damage.

I have been using a 2 ton come a long and a 4:1 with rescue rope for a while now and it works great.
    Last edited by Muledeercrazy2; 09-20-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Had a good reminder about the dreaded gumbo last Saturday. I was coming down a decent grade that I'd had no trouble coming up in 4 wheel drive, I was feathering the brakes and made a slight turn left and nothing. Let off the brake still nothing for steerage. I was only going a jogging pace so no panic I just straightened the wheel and got it all but stopped then let it fall into an old water rut and used that to creep to the bottom with some control. Obviously my tires were clear on the way up and I had enough momentum I didn't spin at all. But coming down hill tires don't clear themselves good. At all. And once I started to slip and plow mud it was about like trying to run snow shoes on a hockey rink! Yeah, I gotta get some chains..
    Last edited by Salty; 09-20-2018 at 08:59 PM.

did you see that one vid where the guy used a couple lengths of trees tied to shorter ropes to be able to pull from further away

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyIfYouGetOne View Post
    I second being a bcaa member...called them once getting stuck on FSR, they wouldn’t come because off pavement but they did have a contact of a private contractor in the area and he came and pulled me out
    Same here!

Shortly after the second incident 16+ years ago decided to get a sat. phone.

In the first incident a W.L. cowboy/pilot(Jim Hamilton if I recall) came by & drove us to the nearest phone.

In the second incident a game warden phoned for help. He caught a reported poacher while we waited for the tow truck. The guy shot a doe (buck only) mistakenly in the wrong zone.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein