Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Stuck in the mud, now what?

Logging roads in many areas of BC become slick surfaces of gumbo, worse than snow after any significant rain. If you slide off the road and are basically stranded, what are your options other than trying to walk out which may be unwise if you are miles from civilization. Another hunter or logging truck could come along, but that might not happen. I have an InReach, so was thinking it would be clever to obtain the contact number of the closest towing company and, assuming they had a mobile number, text them with your location and circumstances. Alternatively, you could text a family member or friend who could phone the company, but in each case it would be useful to know who to call. I will be hunting somewhere between Tyee Lake and Big Lake in early October. Anyone have a suggestion as to who to contact should such a scenario occur?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stuck in the mud, now what?

Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Had it happen.. Pretty shitty feeling having your truck start to slide and not being able to do anything about it! No matter what kind of tires you have that gumbo cakes them up pretty good. I personally always carry a shovel, some pieces of gritty lumber, a good quality jack-all, a chainsaw winch and also the winch on my front bumper. You'd be surprised what you can get yourself out of

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I also carry a lot of equipment "just in case' including extra rolls of cable, snatch blocks, etc,
    and a 4 ton come-a-long. (always used to have a 12000 lb winch). One of the problems I've
    come up on is someone that's gone nose down off the road and were relying on their front
    mounted winch. Carrying a 'jack all' or 4 ton come-a-long along with a spool of cable and at
    least one snatch block will give you the opportunity to pull your vehicle back up onto the road
    even if it takes a long time.

A winch, straps, snatch block, shackles, hilift, and a lot of experience ranging from simple bogged down to multiple roll over recovery has served me well. Problem is the only way to get good at that kind of thing is to do it a lot.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Carry tire chains for slick mud. Better to put them on before your stuck and the tires are all full of mud.

If you have tire chains for all four tires. Putting them on before can keep you out of the ditch. They work surprisingly well in the mud. Pain to put on but better than the ditch.
    I reliez that’s not what you were asking. Just a thought.

Many will say get a winch, I dont disagree. But what I was thinking is getting a long line of decent rope, and a few snatch blocks. get the ratio up as much as possible (9:1 etc) and a come-along. Regardless of cost, I was thinking I wouldnt have to worry about maintenance on a winch, the worry about about the winch failing, battery dying etc. I could do it myself, and this set up may also come in handy recovering critters.
    Just a thought, good luck for whatever you choose!

All of the above and now I have added a Tirfor to my kit with extra spool of cable and that will get you pretty well out of anything. We pulled out a 1ton diesel truck with a full load of larch in the back out of the mud. It was sunk to the frame. Just came right out no problem.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Whiskey throttle until you get unstuck or slip off the edge.