Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hunting jacket advice

Re: Hunting jacket advice

Hey guys, just caught up on this thread, I ice fish a lot in the winter. I want to get something that can keep me warm there, but also, something that can help with freezing to death on my quad. Both cases, the wind seems to get me. Then, long rides on the quad or standing still on a lake, and I am miserable. What do you guys wear for this?

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman76 View Post
    Hey guys, just caught up on this thread, I ice fish a lot in the winter. I want to get something that can keep me warm there, but also, something that can help with freezing to death on my quad. Both cases, the wind seems to get me. Then, long rides on the quad or standing still on a lake, and I am miserable. What do you guys wear for this?
    My ice fishing set-up isn't much different than my hunting set-up set-up, nothing like ice fishing in -30 weather... baselayer, thin wool stanfield, fleece pullover, puffy down jacket then outer snowboarding jacket to cut the wind. Don't usually take a quad or sled in, but do tend to hike in. Then a fleece neck gaiter, wool toque, klim gloves, long johns, sweats, snow pants. Then match that up with gaiters, good socks and snow shoes. I also pack in a a window reflector to lay on. And don't forget the pocket warmers.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I use a Sitka Stratus Jacket over merino wool long sleeve shirt, also have a synthetic puffy Ill put on underneath the stratus jacket after hiking if Im getting a chill from sweating !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    My favourite jacket of all time (and this is tongue in cheek) is the "Wetskins" line that Costco used to carry. I think the name was derived from what happened to you when you wore it...no matter what, your skin would end up wet. And rain couldn't penetrate it...but it was so NOT breathable that I'd be dripping after wearing it for even short periods. Gross.

Now my main rain jackets are my Kuiu Yukon and Arcteryx Theta AR. The Theta is WAY lighter than the Yukon and probably more breathable, but loud as all get out....so it's more of my every day/hiking jacket and the Yukon is used more in winter/hunting situations. But is a bit more snug so not always ideal. Unless I lose 20 lbs.
    i bought a set of those wetskins for under 150 bucks maybe 20 years ago to use as an outer layer on snowmobile trips...it was pretty good for that but as you say....you can feel like a boil in bag dumpling if warm out

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman76 View Post
    Dont ice fish much nowadays, but used to wear my PG dinner jacket, drive out onto the ice with my Toyota and crank the heat and listen to tunes with a bevy and rod out the window

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Dont ice fish much nowadays, but used to wear my PG dinner jacket, drive out onto the ice with my Toyota and crank the heat and listen to tunes with a bevy and rod out the window
    Ha! I love that idea!~ The problem is, my wife would never come out on the ice with me lol

Quote Originally Posted by jackthebear View Post
    Planning a late season mule deer hunt in the Chilcotin. Looking for real world advice on a good warm jacket that can keep me warm in the potential-20 degree weather that can happen there. BTW, I am a lean guy which means I don't have a lot of natural insulation.
    thanks in advance��
    Greetings jackthebear,

I've hunted late season around Williams Lake for a couple of decades now and I love that late crisp time with the quiet sugar snow.

If you are sitting or truck hunting I can't help you as I walk a lot. I start with a merino wool long underwear layer and heavy wool socks. I'm blessed with hot feet so I just wear lightly insulated leather boots (Diotti's IIRC from Al at Chilcotin Guns). Next I layer my insulated bibs and then a light cotton snow camo cover pant. Up top a polyester shirt over the merino wool, followed by a alpaca or merino wool sweater, then a windshear fleece covered by light cotton snow camo coat. A toque and those cheap mitts that the top folds back so your fingers can be free when you shoot. I have found this works well and the moisture from the sweat wicks off and forms hoar frost on the outer layer.

The insulated bibs and the wind shear fleece are both from Cabelas, but you can get good stuff from a large number of brands these days. I patronize Cabelas because they tend to have large tall sizes and some of the other well known brands do not always have the xxxl tall. A final note, when you layer with the exception of the long johns try to fit everything else a little bit loose.

With all due respect to other posters I would avoid down because if you are active it gets wet from sweat and stops insulating, then you get cold and it cuts your hunting time.

Get out early before dawn and get into your area so dawn breaks with you in your starting place.

Hope this helps and good luck.