Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting jacket advice

Re: Hunting jacket advice

Insulation while on the move is an issue, too...that's why I have some synthetic breathable layers - particularly my Patagonia Nano Air hoody and my Arcteryx Atom SL (for warmer days but a great layer). And you can get them for WAY cheaper than the hunting brands. Mostly being layered over so who cares if they're bright blue??

I get sweaty, so I need breathable if I'm moving and that Nano Air hoody is the bomb for warmth/breathability. I, too, have a Cerium down hoodie and it's pretty great for what it is - great to layer under a shell, for sure. But not nearly as breathable if I'm moving hard and fast.

Yes. Breathability is always a problem especially when things get labeled as "waterproof/breathable". Even the latest gore-tex is not very breathable. Certainly not when you are exerting yourself. Simply no waterproof fabric can keep up with the amount of steam your body can produce when active.

You should be able to go to sleep in your gore-tex jacket and wake up with it dry. That's about how breathable they are. If you are hiking with it on, you will get condensation on the inside guaranteed.

So yes, layer for sweat management but have realistic expectations about your garments.

My favourite jacket of all time (and this is tongue in cheek) is the "Wetskins" line that Costco used to carry. I think the name was derived from what happened to you when you wore it...no matter what, your skin would end up wet. And rain couldn't penetrate it...but it was so NOT breathable that I'd be dripping after wearing it for even short periods. Gross.

Now my main rain jackets are my Kuiu Yukon and Arcteryx Theta AR. The Theta is WAY lighter than the Yukon and probably more breathable, but loud as all get out....so it's more of my every day/hiking jacket and the Yukon is used more in winter/hunting situations. But is a bit more snug so not always ideal. Unless I lose 20 lbs.

I remember those Costco ones! I returned 2 because I thought they were leaking until I figured out what was happening .... but back then I also thought "breathable" meant more breathable than I later found out they all actually were. Live and learn.

I have an Arcteryx Theta AR as well. Excellent shell jacket. Mine has been going strong since 2005 (before I was ever into hunting) with a couple issues here and there that Arcteryx took care of for no charge.

But yes ... very loud. They were never designed for hunting and I'm sure if the Arcteryx folks saw hunters in their gear theyd be rolling their eyes big time. Lol.

They make some amazing jackets but I just cant justify the price for one nowadays. I saw a Theta AR (I think) at Atmosphere the other day and it was $600. Give me a break.

I bought mine when I used to work at Coast mountain sports in my early 20s and with our staff "pro deals" we could get them for $200 and back then they were made in Canada as well, back when their factory was in Burnaby still.

Maybe this has already been said, but make sure you have the ability to remove or add layers depending on your level of exertion. The more you sweat and get your base layers yet, the colder you'll get no matter what.

My biggest problem in the cold is keeping my feet warm. So far the only boots I've found that work are the white bunny boots, although they're not great for hiking/walking. I've heard people say that wearing 2 toques helps with keeping feet warm, but I've never really tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I'm just wondering if there's any other problems you face in -35? Maybe gun parts freezing up. How does that cold affect zero on your rifle scope and trajectory?
    Your point of impact will be lower in cold weather... unless you sight your rifle in at -35

I just made sure the working parts of my rifle were oil free. I'm sure gun oil is fine in extreme cold. But the climate is usually dry in those temperatures. I don't want debris getting stuck in the oil and freezing to parts.

what gloves you using in -35? That's frost bite territory!

I bought some primaloft mittens from MEC last year that have been toasty warm, but nothing close to -35. I've basically given up on gloves for still hunting in the late season. No matter how much money i spend my fingers are always freezing cold at the tips. I had to switch to mittens.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

I bought some primaloft mittens from MEC last year that have been toasty warm, but nothing close to -35. I've basically given up on gloves for still hunting in the late season. No matter how much money i spend my fingers are always freezing cold at the tips. I had to switch to mittens.

X2. Iv thrown money at new gloves every year and have yet to find a pair I don’t just toss in the backpack.

Those cheap $1 finger gloves as I call them teamed up with wool hobo gloves(picture)

Lots of hands in the pocket. Plus my hands are always cold and once I accept my hands will be cold, I can live with it

I remember those Costco ones! I returned 2 because I thought they were leaking until I figured out what was happening .... but back then I also thought "breathable" meant more breathable than I later found out they all actually were. Live and learn.

I have an Arcteryx Theta AR as well. Excellent shell jacket. Mine has been going strong since 2005 (before I was ever into hunting) with a couple issues here and there that Arcteryx took care of for no charge.

But yes ... very loud. They were never designed for hunting and I'm sure if the Arcteryx folks saw hunters in their gear theyd be rolling their eyes big time. Lol.

They make some amazing jackets but I just cant justify the price for one nowadays. I saw a Theta AR (I think) at Atmosphere the other day and it was $600. Give me a break.

I bought mine when I used to work at Coast mountain sports in my early 20s and with our staff "pro deals" we could get them for $200 and back then they were made in Canada as well, back when their factory was in Burnaby still.
    Yep, stupid expensive. I got mine on closeout when LiveOutThere was shutting down their retail ops. But still pricey. But glad I did it because it's better than any jacket I've ever owned.

For the gloves, my hands are pretty well always cold. A thin merino under something warmer usually works not too badly....but I did find that my Kuiu Superdown Glassing Mitts actually crazy warm. But they aren't meant to be durable or "constant" use - just when sitting there not doing much...then they're stellar.