Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting jacket advice

Re: Hunting jacket advice

I am quite fond of some old turtle necks that I wont let my wife throw out for the colder temps...I always have several along for those windy cold days...as our friend from pei noted it is amazing how much a warm neck helps you feel comfortable

If you are walking, still hunting, climbing - down under anything is not practical. it will get wet, lumpy and lose its comfort level and warmth.

The toque is the best thermostat in the business.

Neck buffs/gaiters are really great - keep the wind off the neck etc. A difference maker.

Layers of merino, fleece and a quiet windbreaker (some fleece come with a Gore liner that is windproof) work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You need a puffy down jacket .... and then a size up fleece or shell jacket over top. (With the usual layering underneath)

Down jackets scrunch up into a softball sized ball and are super lightweight. Keeping it under a shell or fleece will prolong its life as they are generally not of a tough outer fabric.

Do not get those stupid cabelas wool 6 in 1, zip out liner, jacket slash vest monstrosities. Those things weigh like 10lbs and are terrible for anything but road hunting.

Down puffy jacket is the lightest warmest layer you can have.

Of course if you have the money you could get one of those Kuiu down jackets that are tougher as they are designed to be worn as an outer layer. They come in camo. They would work very well for those dry cold climates up there.

Reccomend any fleece jackets? Do you use hooded jacket?

i like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Reccomend any fleece jackets? Do you use hooded jacket?

i like this idea.
    For a fleece I just have a cheapo $30 one from bass pro that is cut for fat guys so an XL in that fits well over my L puffy jacket. Its great for the price and does a good job of keeping the down jacket protected. No hood but I almost always have a toque on If I need to be wearing a puffy jacket.

For a shell I have a much more expensive Arcteryx softshell that is built from Gore WINDSTOPPER with a hood and that's just a brick wall for the wind.

Works for me. The ability to remove the down jacket and pack it into a softball sized pouch is great for those days when it starts of frigid but warms up by 15 degrees when the sun comes out.

For a fleece I just have a cheapo $30 one from bass pro that is cut for fat guys so an XL in that fits well over my L puffy jacket. Its great for the price and does a good job of keeping the down jacket protected. No hood but I almost always have a toque on If I need to be wearing a puffy jacket.

For a shell I have a much more expensive Arcteryx softshell that is built from Gore WINDSTOPPER with a hood and that's just a brick wall for the wind.

Works for me. The ability to remove the down jacket and pack it into a softball sized pouch is great for those days when it starts of frigid but warms up by 15 degrees when the sun comes out.
    Do you still take rain gear? Or does the soft shell work?

awesome i will have to stop in at bass pro next time I’m in town and take a look.
    I hate being married to a heavy winter jacket. Love my down mountain hardware coat.

Cheers.

Hunting/camping in -35. During the day I ran my under armour cold gear long sleeve, then my wool base layer, then a fleece hoodie, then a down jacket and then a a light fleece camo outer layer. I was hiking all day though.

For legs I ran just my stanfield long johns and sitka mountain pants.

Uninsulated scarpa hiking boots with heavy wigwam socks.

I was comfortable. Night time was a bit of a challenge though...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    Do you still take rain gear? Or does the soft shell work?
    Generally the setup I described above is only used for the dry and cold climates. Think 100 mile or gang ranch. It really doesnt rain up there much. The cold and wind are a bigger problem.

That being said yes, the softshell works for most of those light showers up there but I do pack a light rain jacket in the pack as well. You never know when a storm could move in, soak you, and leave you freezing

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Hunting/camping in -35. During the day I ran my under armour cold gear long sleeve, then my wool base layer, then a fleece hoodie, then a down jacket and then a a light fleece camo outer layer. I was hiking all day though.

For legs I ran just my stanfield long johns and sitka mountain pants.

Uninsulated scarpa hiking boots with heavy wigwam socks.

I was comfortable. Night time was a bit of a challenge though...
    I'm just wondering if there's any other problems you face in -35? Maybe gun parts freezing up. How does that cold affect zero on your rifle scope and trajectory?
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 09-20-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

You need a puffy down jacket .... and then a size up fleece or shell jacket over top. (With the usual layering underneath)

Down jackets scrunch up into a softball sized ball and are super lightweight. Keeping it under a shell or fleece will prolong its life as they are generally not of a tough outer fabric.

Do not get those stupid cabelas wool 6 in 1, zip out liner, jacket slash vest monstrosities. Those things weigh like 10lbs and are terrible for anything but road hunting.

Down puffy jacket is the lightest warmest layer you can have.

Of course if you have the money you could get one of those Kuiu down jackets that are tougher as they are designed to be worn as an outer layer. They come in camo. They would work very well for those dry cold climates up there.

I second this. Use down for your insulation layer, kuiu and firstlite are awesome brands. Little on the pricey side but worth it. Keep in mind they aren't breathable so not meant to be hiked in. More for when you're stationary!