Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting jacket advice

Hunting jacket advice

Planning a late season mule deer hunt in the Chilcotin. Looking for real world advice on a good warm jacket that can keep me warm in the potential-20 degree weather that can happen there. BTW, I am a lean guy which means I don't have a lot of natural insulation.
    thanks in advance👍

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting jacket advice

A good down vest under a good wool coat? Always a classical

Good jacket to protect from the wind, but also several under layers such as thin merino and a stanfield wooly so you can adjust based on level of activity to avoid sweating. Thin merino long johns and wool pants down below. For me the merino and wool are most important and I frequently use a mid weight fleece camo jacket over top. Like the way it breathes to avoid sweating, but I tend not to sit much with late season deer hunts so I tend to keep warm with the layering. If plan to sit more may want to upgrade your jacket to something heavier.
    Last edited by northof49; 09-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.

You need a puffy down jacket .... and then a size up fleece or shell jacket over top. (With the usual layering underneath)

Down jackets scrunch up into a softball sized ball and are super lightweight. Keeping it under a shell or fleece will prolong its life as they are generally not of a tough outer fabric.

Do not get those stupid cabelas wool 6 in 1, zip out liner, jacket slash vest monstrosities. Those things weigh like 10lbs and are terrible for anything but road hunting.

Down puffy jacket is the lightest warmest layer you can have.

Of course if you have the money you could get one of those Kuiu down jackets that are tougher as they are designed to be worn as an outer layer. They come in camo. They would work very well for those dry cold climates up there.

best results will come from layering. Next so skin, choose a light, fast drying layer (Sitka CORE Lightweight). I would suggest a Merino wool midweight layer next. A puffy jacket or vest next. And then a warmer outer jacket if needed. Im fat so I always get hot
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I like a long sleeve thermal shirt, t-shirt,hoody and carhartt jacket, I don’t think I’ve been in a wind yet that has been able to get through the jacket .

I just picked up a first light chamberlain last month.
    Its very nice.
    It replaced a 15 year old MEC super puffy lightweight down jacket that finally got to be more tent repair tape then jacket, lol. I am forbidden from wearing it now outside of the shop by my wife. She even purchased me an arcteryx cerium down jacket a couple years ago which I returned after a week or So of “testing” with the tags on.
    i almost kept it.... it was warm but not quite as warm as the old MEC one.
    Anyways...
    I started by shopping at MEC, Patagonia, arcteryx all the regular spots you found down jackets years ago.
    Turns out not many make a super puffy puffy anymore under 500 bucks. lots of “sweaters” and super lightweight medium warm ones, but nothing that made me want to put it on in -15 and glass for a long time.
    The chamberlain seems good, lots of loft, well made no cold spots with the box baffling so, it’s also slimmer then it would otherwise be. I’m excited to really test it which says a lot because nothing else really stood out.

I’ve never been a fan of using down underneath other layers because
    a. As soon as it’s under something it compresses loosing loft and warmth.
    B. As soon as it’s under something its generally collecting moisture via
    a. It’s Raining or snowing and I’m wearing a shell and the moisture buildup ruins the loft and warmth or
    b. I become active and it breathes more effectively then my outer layer building up moisture on the inside of the goretex shell and then gets wet and looses loft and warmth.

always for under layers I’ll run wool and synthetic puffs before down, but nothing beats a super lofty down jacket in cold dry conditions as an outer layer for me and I was finding it very hard to find, it ruled out many of the down insulating jackets I kept running into on my search

I did look at the Kuiu ultra down as well but it’s designed as an under shell down layer like so many others I encountered.
    maybe I’m missing out on something, but I’ve just never had great success putting down under things.

man that was supposed to be a short reply!
    Sorry for the ramble but I thought my initial first 2 lines would need explanation lol!
    Last edited by the hopper; 09-19-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

You don't need anything special for -20. Layers and something to break the wind. I'd be the most worried about my feet and keeping the wind off of my face. Balaclava or neck warmer and a toque.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Wow! Thanks everyone. Wasn't expecting so many replies. Lots to work with there. ��

we ice fish tons here in the Cariboo and one small piece of clothing that has made a huge difference in our comfort level is a neck buff, never thought such a small thing could make such a difference. I have a Columbia wool coat that I put a down vest under and have yet to be cold in that.... but as mentioned above,,,, your feet will be a bigger issue. Trying to find a warm pair of boots to hike in, stand in for extended periods is much harder. Toe warmers are your friend as well.

xpeier