Thread: Some observations/questions from a unsuccessful hunt.

Some observations/questions from a unsuccessful hunt.

So I decided to hunt some new areas for a few days since my plans to go north fell through. Thought I would share some observation followed with questions and maybe have a little discussion and I may learn a thing or two from you more experienced guys!

1. I started out hunting the elusive okanagon elk. I guess I got lucky and hiked into an area that was full of rub lines. I know his means that they were there, and most likely not there anymore, but the fresh poo every 5 feet and in every direction for a few Kms kept me around. Though I did not see one elk and no reply’s from cow calls or bugles. I know when I lived on the island when I found a rub line, I would set cameras and the elk seemed to stick around all season in that general area. Maybe the pressure from opening season pushed them back? It wasn’t very far off the roads and it is a known area. Maybe head there for archery season next year? Or maybe they migrate and rut in a totally different area a lot farther from the roads!

2. I’ve never really hunted mule deer in September other than in the alpine, and for the amount I hiked around, I only saw does everywhere. Not one buck. I’m assuming in general that the does stick around and the smart boys head back up? I do see people posting pictures of nice 4 points in some fields so I know there is always deer everywhere, but for the most part until the weather or rut pushes them down is this what you guys observe ? I know most mule deer migrate and some don’t, and am curious to the collar study being done now. And I’ve also read a few books on them, but just curios to hear what other people generally see in Bc.

3. So to add to the mulies down low, I did rattle in a two point buck up around 1500meters. It wasn’t what I would call alpine and was maybe a 3 or 4 year old cut. In hindsight I maybe shouldn’t have kept rattleing him in to the ten yards he got before he smelt me, since he wasn’t legal. Every smaller deer I have seen in September in the alpine (as in two point, spike, or small three) has always been with either a bigger more mature buck, or a bachelor group of bucks. Is this the same with mostly everyone? I quickly realized after he was snorting and hopping away I might have just ruined my chances at his bigger buddy in the bushes. Oh well I guess just like him I was curious. And wanted to see how close I could get him. Never rattled a buck in September, anyone else do that before?

4. Moo cows, do you find the deer not like to be around them this time of year? Whenever I saw cows, almost around every corner.., there was no fresh sign anywhere. Maybe I was just being a shitty hunter those days, but I usually run into something . I’ve heard mixed information on this. Cows gotta eat too though!

5. Last one! Does the white fluffy bum of a whitetail hopping off give you giggles, or make you sad, or both?!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Some observations/questions from a unsuccessful hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty76 View Post
    5. Last one! Does the white fluffy bum of a whitetail hopping off give you giggles, or make you sad, or both?!
    I didnt swear.. I said "FIRE TRUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!"
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Re: Some observations/questions from a unsuccessful hunt.

I suspect with the elk, you were in the right area, especially with the fresh sign.
    Now, it could be that others have chased them into hiding?
    I am sure a few others could give you some pm advice on that.

Mulies up high.
    yup, seen Doe's around as well, but usually they are bachelor up with other bucks at times about now.
    I do know in some areas, as soon as the first snowflakes hit, they seem to be gone!?