Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Did you even read the article , says the bear still proceded to pursue knock down and chew on the individual after being shot. How is that saving the day.
    Also according to the article provided were does it say the bear was sprayed in the face. I realize this is an old article but wonder if the bear was ever found and if so
    what happened to the cub as well. have helped on more then a few case were animals have been put down for being deemed a problem/ not acting normally and when
    skinned they have shotgun pellets in them.
    Maybe this will help!

Article-
    Braconnier said the bear hit him four times, and on the third time, the sow grabbed his arm and flung him through the air.
    “When I landed, I grabbed my pepper spray. When she came at me again, she was at an arm’s distance as I used the bear spray on her. It deterred her but she still ran me over. In two lunges she was back up the hill towards Keith. I could hear him screaming but I couldn’t see a thing,” he said.

While Braconnier was screaming, Farkas fumbled with the straps on his backpack, trying to get the gun out. Then, with shaky hands, he loaded the gun.

“I saw her paws. I took one shot. She stood up and seemed to writhe in pain like the shot had connected with her. Like lightning, she was around a corner and coming at me airborne from above,” said Farkas.
    “She clawed me and pushed me back. I landed on my back in the most terrifying position with my head downhill and my feet uphill. I was screaming. Her face was one foot away from my boot and she turned around and left.”

Notes
    -When she was at an arm's distance & Braconnier was able to reach & aim the spray it's obvious that it wasn't her ass end he sprayed. Also read it somewhere that her face was sprayed.

-Spray was used first & had little effect if any. The sprayed bear went and charged the second guy that more than likely wounded her as she charged. She hardly clawed the guy before escaping. -So without the gun more than likely both would have been bear scat.

Lesson learned

Farkas said that he would practice & become more proficient with the gun before venturing into grizzly country.
    Didn’t say what was in the shotgun shell.

My defender is always loaded with 3”mag Brenneke when at camp or when sometimes retrieving game.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

[quote=lbm;2038417]
    Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

the problem is the amount of humans in the outdoors now days, don't no about other areas but in the ek they are every where at all seasons of the year.Don't believe the hunting installs fear theory
    at all either. Bears have been hunted in b.c. All the time up intill this past spring for grizzly and it didn't change any thing. More people in the outdoors leads to more incounters and bears being more
    use to humans .
    I trust the experts.

Gary Shelton the grizzly bear expert extraordinaire believes that grizzly bear should be hunted to instill fear of men. Don’t forged he has been living in a grizzly infested area for many years & knows what makes them tick.
    We all know that tree huggers backed up by their chosen so called scientist will say there is no connection between hunting & fear. The same group also recommends spray over gun BS.

Article-

Preserving the fear of man: Hunting grizzly bears instills that they should stay away from man. Grizzlys that are not hunted can lose their respect and fear of man by encountering man and civilization. Rouge grizzlys have been known to attack livestock, encroach on urban areas, and attack humans. The hunting of grizzly bears pushes the bears further into the wilderness and makes them realize that man presents a threat. Contrary to what idealistic hippies might believe, we cant live in harmony with dangerous top of the food chain predators, they deserve their vast wilderness space away from urban areas. Grizzlys cannot co-habitate with man unlike the adaptable coyote and black bear.
    http://www.successfulhunting.com/200...able-activity/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    There are plenty of things we can do to avoid bear encounters. As i get older the bear that worries me is the predatory black bear. Most of us are pretty comfortable around black bears and they don,t get the respect we give to grizzlies.Watch the videos or read up on predatory black bear attacks,scary stuff.
    Predatory black bears are bad news and best given a quick dirt nap. Think of the next unsuspecting person to come along who might not have a firearm. If no firearm or means of escape a predatory black bear situation will most likely escalate and become dire. Griz more likely to be explosive encounter and less time to react than with black bear....more of a need to react without hesitation in these situations.
    Last edited by northof49; 10-01-2018 at 08:23 PM.

I work in an industry that requires monthly safety drills and apply this to hunting in bear country. Make a point of going through the motions of what you will do if encountering a bear. How close before you shoot, scope on low power, scope cover off, safety off or cycle a round depending on your preference. Talk it over if hunting with a partner. Then practise it a few times because in a real situation you don't want nor have time to think about everything. Just say to yourself bear!!! and see how you do. Only ever had on close call and that was with a black bear and it drove home the importance of planning and practise. Doesn't take much but you have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    I work in an industry that requires monthly safety drills and apply this to hunting in bear country. Make a point of going through the motions of what you will do if encountering a bear. How close before you shoot, scope on low power, scope cover off, safety off or cycle a round depending on your preference. Talk it over if hunting with a partner. Then practise it a few times because in a real situation you don't want nor have time to think about everything. Just say to yourself bear!!! and see how you do. Only ever had on close call and that was with a black bear and it drove home the importance of planning and practise. Doesn't take much but you have to do it.
    Eve saw the grizzly just behind the small tree on the bank top as he started the charge. His head was low with his ears back. It was about 40 yards+ away.
    My comfort zone is about 30 yards so had my rifle been handy I would have shot him right away.

Eve saw the grizzly just behind the small tree on the bank top as he started the charge. His head was low with his ears back. It was about 40 yards+ away.
    My comfort zone is about 30 yards so had my rifle been handy I would have shot him right away.

Your 30yards rule is for any bear or bears showing aggressive behaviour? If the answer is aggressive behaviour explain what you would call aggressive?

^^^ stood toe to toe at 12ft with large griz that snuck in to calling....gun on base of neck when he stood up and didn’t need to shoot....any forward movement at that point and would have. Every situation is different. Understanding body language and situation at hand is key. Charging bear different situation altogether.....dirt nap at about 15yds if no sign of breaking off.... but again every situation is different. If with my wife or kids I likely would shoot sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    ^^^ stood toe to toe at 12ft with large griz that snuck in to calling....gun on base of neck when he stood up and didn’t need to shoot....any forward movement at that point and would have. Every situation is different. Understanding body language and situation at hand is key. Charging bear different situation altogether.....dirt nap at about 15yds if no sign of breaking off.... but again every situation is different. If with my wife or kids I likely would shoot sooner.
    I would agree 100% and sounds like you respect the fact a bear can attack but are well aware a close encounter with a grizzly does not need to end with a dead bear or you getting chewed on

Someone who chooses to always carry a firearm in bear county I have no issue with as long as they do so with the correct mentality

I don’t choose to carry a firearm in bear country unless I am hunting with it but that is my choice. That said I have tagged a couple black bear for being aggressive at close range. This spring the black bear I tagged was because he bluff charged when I snuck up for a closer look

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Your 30yards rule is for any bear or bears showing aggressive behaviour? If the answer is aggressive behaviour explain what you would call aggressive?
    Running at full speed with ears laid back & head close to ground is what I would consider aggressive so in general would yell as loud as possible before shooting when entering the comfort zone. I don't hunt animals that we don't eat so have zero experience hunting bears.

Running at full speed with ears laid back & head close to ground is what I would consider aggressive so in general would yell as loud as possible before shooting when entering the comfort zone. I don't hunt animals that we don't eat so have zero experience hunting bears.
    Completely acceptable defence situation

At 30 yards full on charge from a grizzly if you’re not on target and ready odds are you won’t even get a shot off let alone chance to yell. They are stupid fast and in a situation like that you are more then likely at the mercy of the bear if it’s intending on an attack or bluff.

I have been bluffed by a black bear in the thick stuff at that range and can tell you when he ran past me all I had time for was my heart to jump. Did not see this bear till he was coming before that I was trying to figure out what was in the bush with me

Yes with both knowledge and a gun you can be in a helpless oh crap moment.

The most effective is knowledge and not getting into a bad spot with bears. Been bluffed many times and all but 2 were from me knowingly pushing my luck. The 2 that were not I am glad they were not a charge with true intent because there was no time to respond

Don’t hunt bear is your choice but in my opinion all hunters should take the time to learn bear body language and how to avoid getting into a spot with a bear. I only learned from hunting them pushing my luck at times. Its hard to explain how to truly read them without being able to point out what a bear is doing firsthand