Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

No lack of bears that I agree

As for the people having bears in camp every night how was there camp? I always get a laugh out of the guys who tell me about bear problems in camp well tossing leftovers or dumping grease from a frying pan 10 feet away. Majority of the hunters with bears in camp is a combo of how they keep their camp and location they chose. Sometimes the issue is the habits of those who camped there just before you as well

Yes at times you get a visitor with a perfect camp but hey you’re in the bush where they live

If someone is having bear problems in camp all the time it might be wise to start looking at what is attracting them instead of just going wow there is lots of bears here

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

A bear spray may or may not ward off a curious bear but why take a chance!

Have an adequate weapon ready for instant use especially in the bushy, watery areas & carry a large knife.

Personally I have zero fear of black bear but take extra precautions when I see fresh grizz signs.

Some HBC members have been attacked by grizz while hunting or scouting.
    Here's one from 2013

The sow was sprayed in the face to no avail. The shotgun saved the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rnie-1.1329837
    Did you even read the article , says the bear still proceded to pursue knock down and chew on the individual after being shot. How is that saving the day.
    Also according to the article provided were does it say the bear was sprayed in the face. I realize this is an old article but wonder if the bear was ever found and if so
    what happened to the cub as well. have helped on more then a few case were animals have been put down for being deemed a problem/ not acting normally and when
    skinned they have shotgun pellets in them.

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2038153]
    Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

Case in point!

California –where black bears are hunted. 322 have been taken as of yesterday. Season open until 1700 are killed.
    Here’s a bear encounter from 2 days ago. Notice how quickly the bear hightailed it once he smelled a human. Hunting instills fear of humans in bears be they black or grizz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCx...ature=youtu.be

STORY-By dthome
    "I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!
    Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy:"

The problem is the amount of humans in the outdoors now days, don't no about other areas but in the EK they are every where at all seasons of the year. Don't believe the hunting installs fear theory
    at all either. Bears have been hunted in B.C. all the time up intill this past spring for grizzly and it didn't change any thing. More people in the outdoors leads to more incounters and bears being more
    use to humans .

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    No lack of bears that I agree

As for the people having bears in camp every night how was there camp? I always get a laugh out of the guys who tell me about bear problems in camp well tossing leftovers or dumping grease from a frying pan 10 feet away. Majority of the hunters with bears in camp is a combo of how they keep their camp and location they chose. Sometimes the issue is the habits of those who camped there just before you as well

Yes at times you get a visitor with a perfect camp but hey you’re in the bush where they live

If someone is having bear problems in camp all the time it might be wise to start looking at what is attracting them instead of just going wow there is lots of bears here
    Some good points here, a few have complained about certain areas here in the EK about the bears around there camps in the fall but what they may not no is that with in 1 or 2 kilometers of these camp
    sights during the late fall and winter is trappers bait piles. Now many of these bears are there into the winter, there tracks have been seen into january. they are then back there in the early spring, shortly
    after campers start using the camp grounds and bears follow there nose to food. so even though these bears are out in the bush they may very well be being habitutated to a food source by humans.
    now just look on this site alone where others say they are going to go start dumping bait for predators and many dump it where the easiest access is for that time of year.
    I just drove a km out of town last week to a view point ravens all over and theres the rib cage of an elk thrown there this week a half km from town same thing but moose now this happens here every year
    and those that do it are the same ones that complain about bears etc coming into town, and again from the looks of things this happens all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Nothing wrong with that but I don’t want to be anywhere near the guy with a fear problem of grizzly if crap hits the fan because everything but the bear is getting shot. Or the guy who feels the need to shoot or shoot at a grizz because it’s within a 100yards

This is my bigger issue ^^

If grizzly scare the crap out of you odds are in a real oh crap moment you are going to have an empty clip, and Sh!t in your pants praying the noise and the fact you stink makes the grizzly change it’s mind

Fully aware grizzly can chew on you but this is far from the biggest threat in the bush. There is a % of bad black bear out there too and most hunters are likely to cross bath with them before a bad grizzly because of black bears covering so many different habitats vs grizzly. Yet the guy who spends a week a year in grizzly territory thinks he is going to be eaten by a grizzly

This is nothing about being manly it’s I am worried about Hunters in the bush fearing the boogeyman more then the grizzlies. Someone who is scared is less predictable then a bear
    More good points, lots of things that are a bigger threat. Have a look at the numbers from the International hunter education association, people shot by hunters yearly in US and Canada it is less then 1000 with less then 75 of those being fatal.
    Tree stand accidents are around 6000 a year, lots of worse things out there, as one other person on a bear attack site mentioned much greater chance of getting hurt on your drive to the outdoors.

For any that didn’t hear about this one a few years ago in Houston. Don’t recall it getting a lot of coverage at the time.....fairly horrific ordeal

http://www.anglerstonic.com/2012/10/...tish-columbia/

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

Another member made reference to this man , Gary Shelton ! I have one of his books and I need to read it !
    Arctic Lake

There are plenty of things we can do to avoid bear encounters. As i get older the bear that worries me is the predatory black bear. Most of us are pretty comfortable around black bears and they don,t get the respect we give to grizzlies.Watch the videos or read up on predatory black bear attacks,scary stuff.