Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by BABBY View Post
    I was up in Region 6 on Saturday. Hiked in to a spot at first light where I had found some fresh rubs the day before. It was a fairly large poplar stand and the only sign I was seeing was moose and a bit of wolf. Pretty limited sightlines but being late September I was fairly confident that I could call a bull in close enough for a shot. I got hunkered down in the poplars and started cow calling. After the third call, I heard a twig snap about 50 yards away. The bush was super quiet so I was really feeling good about detecting any movement. About 5 minutes after the twig snap, I was barely able to hear some footsteps heading my way. Heart pumping, focussing on controlling my breathing, planning my possible shooting lanes - all the great stuff when you have a bull coming in. The footsteps got a bit clearer. I figured the bull was only about 20 yards away hidden by a little draw. I was a bit confused that I couldn't make out a rack moving along that draw so close. Maybe a small bull? Maybe I miscalculated the depth of that draw? Then I see just a tiny brown patch moving 30 feet away. Rifle up, I get ready to see my bull. Then Mr. Grizzly pops out! 30 feet away!! He swings his head my way and I take a step to my right. He sees me, spins around and takes off down the hill sounding like someone was driving a jeep through the bush. Whew!!!!

All I could think of was "What if the bush had been a bit noisier?" I think I would not have heard him. I mean I'm still, 2 days later, shook up by how quiet that Grizz came in. Unbelievable! They're stealthy buggers!!

I've been hunting moose this way for decades. It's absolutely my favourite way to hunt. But in the last 3 years, I've called in coyotes, wolves, and now a G-Bear. Might have to start rethinking my tactics......
    WOW ! Yup would have being TENSE for Sure ! Glad it worked out for you ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off
    Holy Crap ! Sorry to hear That - BUT GREAT to hear he was not seriously injured ! Can you give more details about the attack - like what lead up to it etc - Thanks RJ

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Was that two adults or sow with 3yr old. Look to be similar size in that photo and too large
    The one upper one in the photo I thought to be quite a bit bigger?? Would they be 2 juveniles that just left their mother, or one is the mother with a more mature cub??

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Exactly what we would do!

Even after seeing fresh grizz scat, tracks, I/we become much more cautious & generally leave especially when the area is bushy & close to water.

Never let your guard down. In the summer of 2007 we set camp in a large clearing late in the afternoon near Gaspard creek making a lot of noise cutting firewood, yelling,talking....& a large grizz stalked us as soon as we approached the creek bank after camp was set.
    Right after getting our fishing rods ready the grizz charged us. Yelling & standing up is what changed his mind only feet away.

My weapon, a 375 H&H was by the camper less than 200 ft away. The only thing we had handy was a small knife & 2 stools.
    Lesson learned. When in grizz country always be ready for a bear charge. Have an adequate weapon within easy reach & be proficient with it.

According to Shelton it had all the makings of a predatory charge after going through the full details.

Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.
    I also carry a large razor sharp knife as a last resort.

Wow that's crazy, and that's a lot of grains to stop a griz, sounds like a good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off
    Glad that he's dealing with only minor injuries from what your describing, thank God....

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    After just coming back from BC we encountered 9 bears in 7 days on Thursday alone we seen 6. Including a sow and cubs that climbed my meat tree and ate my cape from my mountain goat and half my meat. The meat was hanging 17ft in the tree if I could figure out how to upload pics I’d show you a trail cam pic of the grizzly in the tree.
    Sorry to hear that about your Mtn goat..

Guy should be able to keep the hide of that bear given the circumstances.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

mpotzold - Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.

Why is EVE using 325 FTX bullets ? there NOT a great penetrator - is it because of recoil ? just wondering - RJ

U still looking for people for group buy for the pack alarm , i am interested...
    Last edited by Stranger In The Woods; 09-25-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    mpotzold - Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.

Why is EVE using 325 FTX bullets ? there NOT a great penetrator - is it because of recoil ? just wondering - RJ
    Yes!

She never goes hunting alone. I'm always close by & if we part we have instant ICOM radio contact. She also stays at camp for part of the day.
    Her rifle is sighted in using only Leverevolutions & she has no problem with the recoil.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein