Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

And thanks to to those above who commented on my question: I ultimately have a family to take care of and come back to, so I believe I made the right choice, but it was hard, as my partner and I felt really good about the area..

He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    And thanks to to those above who commented on my question: I ultimately have a family to take care of and come back to, so I believe I made the right choice, but it was hard, as my partner and I felt really good about the area..
    Was that two adults or sow with 3yr old. Look to be similar size in that photo and too large
    Last edited by northof49; 09-24-2018 at 12:10 AM.

So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..

Exactly what we would do!

Even after seeing fresh grizz scat, tracks, I/we become much more cautious & generally leave especially when the area is bushy & close to water.

Never let your guard down. In the summer of 2007 we set camp in a large clearing late in the afternoon near Gaspard creek making a lot of noise cutting firewood, yelling,talking....& a large grizz stalked us as soon as we approached the creek bank after camp was set.
    Right after getting our fishing rods ready the grizz charged us. Yelling & standing up is what changed his mind only feet away.

My weapon, a 375 H&H was by the camper less than 200 ft away. The only thing we had handy was a small knife & 2 stools.
    Lesson learned. When in grizz country always be ready for a bear charge. Have an adequate weapon within easy reach & be proficient with it.

According to Shelton it had all the makings of a predatory charge after going through the full details.

Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.
    I also carry a large razor sharp knife as a last resort.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

i'm really enjoying reading this post. as a new hunter the more i can learn the better. thanks everyone one for sharing

So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..
    Anyone who's ever hunted the East or West Kootenays likely has a grizzly story or two they could share. It just comes with the territory. Keep hunting.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off

After just coming back from BC we encountered 9 bears in 7 days on Thursday alone we seen 6. Including a sow and cubs that climbed my meat tree and ate my cape from my mountain goat and half my meat. The meat was hanging 17ft in the tree if I could figure out how to upload pics I’d show you a trail cam pic of the grizzly in the tree.

Jeez, I hope he's alright, good for him, wish him well

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off

Was out in the East Kootenays this year. Saw 6 griz in 3 days. Ran in to a mother and a cub when coming down a parallel slide to the one we went up. Luckily we were being noisy as the elk had givin as the slip out the other way and the wind was blowing right to the bears so no surprise. Next day after running into those two we moved valleys.