Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by Akski View Post
    I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?
    Spray the meat after your have harvested the bear. Adds a nice peppery taste. Takes the gamey taste away.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    spray your fake down with bear spray?
    Bear spray is ataully an attractant. They will actually come and lick it off things that it's been sprayed on.
    Bear spray makes great grizzly bait!
    The ground has been bear sprayed!

Now an easy shot
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?
    No you apply it to yourself, just as you would insect repellent... just try not to get it in your eyes, as it will sting a bit...

You likely figured out these guys are pulling your leg....no bear spray anywhere near on your meat.... either side. Also not recommended on oneself.

Lol bear spray is probably one of the best bear attractants that exist. Smells like a whole orchard of peppers.

I had an "accidental discharge" while flyfishing and did not realize I got trace amounts on some gear which then got onto my hands and then onto my eyes. It sucked... a bit handicapped. I had to close my eyes for a couple seconds every 5 seconds.

Had a huge belly dragging tank blackie come all the way up to about 10-15 yards. He got up on his hind legs and when I said "hey bear" got disappointed and got back down on all fours, slowly turned around and dragged his belly back into the bush.

Met my share of people who think spraying it is like marking territory or some kind of deterrent. Not at all. 100% THE best attractant and only a halfass deterrent if you get it in their eyes and they inhale some.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-20-2018 at 06:08 PM.

With the decline of random shooting of grizzlies such as in long gone years, grizzlies no longer hastily depart for parts unknown. They have become bolder at each passing year.
    As such, the sound of a rifle report to a grizzly nowadays is much akin to ringing the dinner bell elsewhere (this is thought to be the reason that brought the grizzly onto the two hunters referred to in an earlier post on this thread. The sad thing was that one of the hunters had a bullet chambered but in the moment of panic, tried to chamber another cartridge in on top of it).
    The problem is going to be compounded with the increased grizzly population explosion due to the hunting ban on the species.
    It's good timing for this thread then.
    I've had two instances in harvesting moose that heightened my alertness to the possible presence of grizzly. Both were late afternoon instances with one hunting partner. One, we took the moose out after dressing it out and the other was where we had to leave it behind after dressing it out and retrieved the following morning.
    In the first instance, I dressed the moose while the partner kept gun at ready and just lent a hand to hold a leg at times. Nothing came of it although we had seen grizzly tracks earlier a few kliks away.
    The second instance, downed the moose by a little lake. The truck was about a kilometer or two away on a new logging spur. There was an old abandoned hunting cabin with the gin pole at some distance from the kill site, much closer than the truck and with an old road to it to boot. Anyhow, we dressed the moose by flashlight and moonlight, sucked it up into a smallish spruce tree as best we could. Between the both of us, we had a far load on our bladders and as such left a good whiz circle around the perimeter of the tree. We also left articles of clothing draped on the tree and then departed for home some 25 kilometers away. We retired early and arose at three and were on the road shortly after. Found the old road opening in the twilight of dawn and drove down to the cabin. There was no disturbance of the carcass. We found that we could get a winch line on the moose and dragged it to the gin pole whereby we winched it up and conveniently plunked it into the bed of the truck and off we went.
    In the other kills, gbear presence was never considered.
    I have never done this, but I heard tell that if you have to leave the whole or parts of your kill behind, leave it submerged in water. Preferably running water as it carries any odors away that might emanate from the carcass.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I've never left meat in the bush I've always packed it out always have a gas lamp in the truck, have helped a buddy of mine several times to get his out the next day. He always left lots of sent behind. He'dtake his T-shirt off lay it on the meat hang his jacket even his socks sometimes in a tree nearby
    Lots of bear tracks around but nothing ever touched it.

I was wondering about them solar powered security lights you can get for your home see if I Costco they were only 30 bucks or so. Might be nice to have in camper to place near the meat or whatever
    Last edited by MRP; 09-21-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I like the idea of a security light where meat is hanging.
    When we quartered our moose after dark last year, there was grizzly sign everywhere. We put the ATV flood light over the kill site.
    At least we could see what might be coming in - and it might keep some critters away.

Was out with one of my hunting partners for a 2 day sub alpine elk hunt: we glassed the bowl of land below and around us for the first part of the morning, and we were just about to head up to the next level of the mountain, when I first spotted the one..then came out the other..these 2 were literally right in the path of where we were going, and where we were going to hunt, as we had scouted 2 months ago and found elk beds in the area exactly where these 2 were..and we slept about 300 yards up from where these 2 were...love my pack alarm..anyway, we had to majorly alter our elk hunt plan a bit, as they were of course, no longer in that general area where we found them previous..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]